What should I do? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 01:28   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

What should I do?

As most of you know I am in the process of turboing my car. I paid for the manifold yesterday and already have the turbo.

I have some car audio gear sitting in my room and this stuff hasn't moved for around 6 months cos Im too lazy to put it in.
I have a set of focal utopia splits which retail for $1100 ish and I paid $600 for them and 3 JL audio subs which I paid $500 for a few months ago.

I have been thinking about selling it all to purchase some more turbo stuff but am wondering if I should sell it or keep it and put it in.

I have been offered $500 for the splits and $400 for the subs.

Should I keep the splits and sell the subs? I really dont need 3 subs let alone have enough room to keep them all in my boot all the time.

Should I sell it all and buy more turbo stuff soon or just wait a few more weeks and keep the gear. ATM Im on about $350 a week from work.
I should be able to get an intercooler and a GRA setup for the amount of cash i will have if I sell it all.

This is a general what would you do in my shoes question?
Im leaning towards keeping the splits as they are top shelf speakers and ditching the subs cos they are a bit impractical.

Thanks guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2004, 01:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: What should I do?

What I would do?... ditch all the audio gear, install the hair dryer, and get used to listening to John Laws for a while! :)
SRVLIVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
1 MORE GO WITH A 4.0L

get rid of the stereo gear (its only for your mates anyway.and f em) I spent $4000 on my first car stereo, Now I wish I had built an engine instead!! so personally
Id rather a whistle and also every Eseries car has a stereo already! do something different ! Horsepower never goes out of fashion!! Stereo gear will be out dated by the time you can buy it
thats my2cents
swoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:55   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

The bids for my splits i up to 515 now.

Thanks guys
I think I will get rid of it all.
I have another set of slightly above average splits and 2 amps that I am keeping anyway.

Any more opinions?

dan
Old 05-19-2004, 02:16   #5 (permalink)

Dan..
What would I do if I was you?
Like SRVLIVES says.. ditch all the audio gear, it is just an expensive way of impressing someone else.. but sell off the turbo gear as well.
Let's face it, if you've had audio gear for six months and haven't fitted it the turbo gear is going to sit around for two years gathering dust, don't you think? :)

You could always use the money to get your car put on gas so you can afford to buy fuel when the price skyrockets soon... Or put the fuel savings towards some turbo gear later on..
But then I'm too old to be impractical.. (see below)
Not sure about the John Laws comment though.. He pisses me off so much at times I just have to listen to himů
---------------------------------
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:37   #6 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Yeah I would ditch all the stereo gear.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:50   #7 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

I kinda have to agree with rawlinna, you probably wont get around to actually getting the turbo gear into the car for yonks BUT I'm all for performance over looks, audio, etc.. so I'd go for the turbo over the audio stuff, for sure :)
Old 05-19-2004, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Thanks guys, the turbo is definately going to happen.
My EB is way too slow for my liking. I miss my 351.
rawlinna- I see where your coming from, sometimes I wish i was sensible. My car is already on gas. My stereo was already pretty good but for some reason (peer pressure) I thought it needed upgrading hence the reason for being to lazy to put it all in.

I already have the expensive components of the turbo install (turbo and manifold) so no use stopping now. If I sell all the audio gear I could have all this done and going by the end of next month. damn exams! Its not that far away.

I still need an intercooler and fuel system $1300 total-which will be bought next week if I sell the audio gear,then there is just the piping and other miscellaneous stuff like hoses and fitting, moving my air con bottle so the intercooler fits easily. The rest can be done afterwards. So I think I will be looking at around $1500 above the fuel system and intercooler to get it all fitted and put in.
Unless Ive missed some stuff.

Any other opinions?

Thanks guys
dan
Old 05-19-2004, 03:41   #9 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

ME: I would keep the splits, good gear is always worth keeping, get rid of the subs, you can always get another, then get on with the turbo.

But if you have never had a good stereo setup before, then you wont miss it, so sell the lot and get on with the turbo.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 03:52   #10 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Keep the splits, ditch the subs. Those splits retail for over $1300, so sellin em for $500 would be an absolute shame. Who says that audio gear is an expensive way of impressing someone else?? And a turbo e-series isn't??? I buy my stereo gear for me to listen to, while making your car quick is to beat other cars and impress them...

If your gunna sell the splits, don't part with them for anything less than $800, trust me, post em up on CAA, and they'll sell like hotcake's.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub