What would you do? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2002, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
Ex Member

What would you do?

When my brother was in queensland, not too long ago, he had a hire car, a Falcon ofcourse.

There was a bit of a problem, he was driving through a deserted bushland road, where there was a very big speed bump in the middle of the road. there were signs around it, but he didnt see it. he hit the bump at 90km/h.

as a result, the sump was shredded, the oil pan for the auto also shredded, the k frame bent out of propotrion, the power steering was also damaged some how and dumped its load of oil on the road.

he was in the middle of nowhere, with no mobile reception and no people around for miles. silly him still kept driving the car, not too far up the road the engine siezes.

he is forced to walk for ages till some bmw driving german picks him up and drives him all the way back to the city. the car was left in the bush.

Now he's been sent a letter saying that the damage will not be covered by insurance and he must pay $7600 in about 2 weeks.

I think he's a moron for driving on after the damage, but he probly didnt realise the extent of the damage till it was too late.
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2002, 18:50   #2 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

I dont understand why it wouldnt be covered under insurance?

So if you're driving along, you hit a roo, smashes ya windsceen, but you're 300km from anyone ie.Strezlecki track, then you crash again cos you couldnt see(or whatever), you're not covered cos you continued with driving after the 1st one? bit different but similar situation.

Or what about if your driving along, the car overheats, and you keep driving cos you dont see the guage,(causing more damage), or your in the middle of nowhere, you have to pay this too?
Old 02-09-2002, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Is there any reason why the insurance wont cover the damage??

When I worked at a servo that hired out rental cars and utes, the insurance covered the named driver on the hire slip (as long as they where over 21) and they even covered for a hit and run accident.
Old 02-09-2002, 18:54   #4 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

hey... also...

is it the place that he hired it from trying to get the money, or there insurance company??
Old 02-09-2002, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
gone

This sounds very very strange indeed!

Is it possible to get photos of where damaged occured?

Maybe a claim needs to be made against the council where the road is for failing to provide adequate warnings.

I know everytime I have damaged my car because of unkept roads, i have let the insurance deal with the council, had to pay the excess of course!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 20:03   #6 (permalink)
GTHO4

Did your brother pay extra for insurance?
Some rental companies let you choose to pay insurance or not.
Old 02-09-2002, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
a little bit sideways

some hire car companies will not insure the car if it is on a gravel road. this would be stated on the hire agreement form. if so, then your brother is going to have to cough up.

however, i agree that if the council failed to adequately provide notice of the speed bump, then he would have a viable claim against them. especially if he was in any hurt during the incident.
rsgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 21:19   #8 (permalink)

HAHAHAHHAHA
Who else finds this story a bit suss??

Rental Car + Deserted bushland + Big-ass bump = lets do some Dukes of Hazzard style jumps!!

Accident my ass LOL:s6:

But still them wanting him to pay $7600 in just 2 weeks is a joke, if he doesnt pay in that time they'll take it to court and the judge will more than likely make him pay what he can afford, like $50 a week or something.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 22:02   #9 (permalink)
Ex Member

its the insurance company asking for the money, via the rental company.

they accused him of reckless/negligent driving, and this isnt covered by insurance.

aparently some people rang up and complained about his driving while over there.

i know my brother is a bit insain when it comes to driving, but i dont see how thats reckless, not seeing a speed bump. it could happen to anyone.
Old 02-09-2002, 22:30   #10 (permalink)
gone

Geezuz

Sounds like hes a bloody hoon

Demand written comfirmation that his driving was reported!

What a load of crock!!!, how can they say that people rang and complained bout his driving, you want signed statements., fark em!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub