Whats ford got up its sleeve? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2002, 00:34   #1 (permalink)
Ex Member

Whats ford got up its sleeve?

with the HFV6 comming into play from holden, what is ford going to do about it? I doubt there going to sit idle and do nothing...
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2002, 00:57   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

In a way I hope ford don't do anything.
Soon we will have bog stock family cars runnign 14 second 1/4s.. and while I don't have a problem with that some people will.

At all costs we do not want the L!mp D!cks getting any milage from this.

In a way I think Holden is being irresponsible in upping the Kw yet again ...
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:11   #3 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

Yes it does seem that way xa-coupe.
I think we are slowly edging into a power war, even though it might not be so large and as obvious. But recent holden anger and badgering of the Falcon lead sme to think that they will just dump a more powerful enging into the commodore to say they are better...
just my 2 cents
Old 12-27-2002, 02:07   #4 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Holden only have to match kW for kW and their lighter weight will give them a faster car. They should also be spending money on better suspension and safety.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:25   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

pfft, holden spending money on dynamics and a proper suspension setup instead of that ancient tyre destroying trailing arm setup as copied from the opel calibra? id like to see that!

holden actually doing/designing something of their own and not rebadging something else and calling it their own? id like to see that!

i hope ford just concentrates on saving weight for the BAII because that is the only area that it may possibly suffer in comparison to the commo, reducing weight is the best thing it can do - i cant stress this enough, less weight has no downside, more kW has many many disadvantages, and only one upside.

hear me ford? REDUCE WEIGHT DAMMIT!!!!!! then even if the commo has 200kW (and the oil consumption to match, i will bet a million dollars the HFV6 will be as chronic at oil burning as the Gen III!) the lesser weight of the falcon will mean it will be faster, less fuel consumptive, cheaper to run (less tyre wear, brake wear, brake fade, drivetrain stress etc etc etc etc etc.....) and better all round!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:34   #6 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Re: Whats ford got up its sleeve?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fairlane Boy
I doubt there going to sit idle and do nothing...
Sounds like an awesome plan to me! Just sit back and watch the competition spontaneously combust!

/me crawls back under rock...
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:45   #7 (permalink)

The thing i am worried about is that while Ford and Holden are putting more goodies into the more basic models to try and win the sales fight, like the XT and Executive, is the quatilty of the parts being used as good as the E series cars. If you think about it, a 95 GLI Falcon wasnt much cheaper then a 2002 BA XT Falcon, and that worries me alot.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollin
pfft, holden spending money on dynamics and a proper suspension setup instead of that ancient tyre destroying trailing arm setup as copied from the opel calibra? id like to see that!
Well get ready to see that.

The HFV6 is going to be so much more than just an engine with respectable power figures. I think people on this forum get caught up with the power figures too much rather than looking at other aspects of the engine.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:58   #9 (permalink)

Why RPO83, has holden finally found a Gasket that will stop their engines from leaking oil? WOW, i would like to see that.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

LOL @ XR6MAN!!!!! you forgot to include a piston ring design that stops oil consumption though...

the HFV6 is not a holden engine, it is designed and made in the US, holden just gets to pick what capacity it wants to use in the commodore, and what options it wants (VVT, single or double OHC etc) holden have no part in the design, same as gen III.

the engine is all alloy which gives a slight weight saving at the expense of extra noise and the non-reusable block, i believe that the HFV6 will not use replaceable cylinder liners, and as such will be a throw away engine as per GEN III.

and holden will claim it as its own, and everyone will forget that the falcon was the first locally built car to have VVT and a locally designed DOHC head, and a locally developed IRS that craps on the commo setup, and an in house designed turbo 6 that makes more specific power than a 300kW GTS (that engine also developed in the USA by calloway, and not a holden hot-up)

i also just realised that when bog stock and new my car (EB XR6) makes slightly more specific power (161kW/4 litres) in 1992 then a 225 VX SS does in 2002 (225/5.7 litres)

so a 1992 ford engine has better power per litre and better fuel consumption (and is quieter, if you count valvetrain noise etc.) than a 2002 chev engine (cause it aint holden!) thats counting my fuel consumption too, and i lean on my car hard and often, and still uses less oil after 10 years and 130,000km than a 40,000k old VX...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub