Whats the old girl worth ?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14   #1 (permalink)

Whats the old girl worth ??

Hi all.

I am stuck in a perplexing situation. Whats my car really worth in a private sale.... yeah I know,,, how long is a peice of string and or Depends on what the buyer is willing to pay...... HHHHmmmmm....??

I have a Jun-Jul ? Build 91 Eb S XR8 Auto.
Bog stock except the exhaust system "white" and auto.

The delema all started 2yrs ago when some #@%*&#@ mechanic stuffed the power steering on me with water and iron filings which i could never prove. At that stage a camber kit and and front struts were also needed and still are. After the P/S was mucked and all associated parts that go with it ..hoses, rack, etc etc I put it off the road.

I have not been in the $ to get it back on the road until now. I have checked around, and a freind works for a parts rebuilder,

So after spending $1800 inc rego and some very minor rust repairs , panel trim etc etc I COULD... get it back on the road.........The motor is sweet and the body straight, done 172 thou, however the paint is crows foot - front to back but u need to look real close to see it

Thus the delema.. My work provides me a new falcon so no hassles there, BUT, still really in short supply of $$$ . I owe $4000 on the car to finance .. bloody interst rates.

I have looked from ebay to redbook, to classifeid adds and got very wild pricing for simalar Kilometer cars anywhere from $4000 to $12500. !!! ??.

So to the big question?? .... should i spend the dough and sell the nice old girl ( as much as I love it ) and try to make back what I owe and the amount spent on it, to get it back on the road????

Can I get that much for it ? $6000 ?

Or Just let it sit ..pay it off, then back on the road as a nice old classic??

I guees my main concern is will I get the money back plus what i owe on it if I try to sell it???

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 03:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Whats the old girl worth ??

Well with all of them problems I dont think you will get much for it, I paid $6500 for a EB XR8 same as yours except it was in imaculate condition inside and out but that was a year and a half ago.

But if you fix it up like you said you might get the money you want for it
cogo_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:12   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately, a car not ready for the road cuts your prospective buyers right down. The people who might see prospects in your car know this will hammer you right down and you won't get much for it. So if you're not far off getting it on the road, fix it up, then sell it.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:55   #4 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

A mate at work recently sold an EB XR8 (red, manual) for 9 I think . . . I can't remember the k's (they weren't too high), but it wasn't in perfect condition (although not that bad either). Had a few mods done to it (horrible 16" rims, exhaust, phenolic spacer).

Registered, I would have thought 6k was an easy target. Unregistered, will be more difficult (easier if you can provide blue slip / RWC, or actually registered).

If your not committed to the car, why not just pick a price you'd be happy with, and throw it in the FF marketplace ? Costs you nothing, if you sell it, good . . if not, nothing has been lost . . . Just include pics if you can...
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:23   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Another option is to wreck the car and sell various parts. Not sure how you are placed for space though... I also find your location has an impact on the price as well.

If you spend the $1800 getting it ready for rego, that is more than half of the loan right there... Then depending on how long it takes for you to sell the car, you will still be paying the loan for as long as it takes...

IMO, I'd focus on paying the car off, and then getting it back on the road. Then when you sell the car, you keep the proceeds, or if you decide to keep it, then you only have running costs...

What about refinancing the loan??
Old 02-26-2004, 20:58   #6 (permalink)
AUPS Member

Just over 3 months ago i bought an EB S XR8, auto, white with 168000ks, immaculate inside and out and that was only $6500. I live in adelaide btw, each state the price varys ive noticed.
cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 00:53   #7 (permalink)

Smile Re: Whats the old girl worth ??

Thanks all fro your replies, It gives me a little more to chew over. Your comments are appreciated.

Btw I would only sell it fixed and rego'd if i was going to sell it, but with the info given thanks again I think i better off just paying it off then getting back on road and go from there,

thanks again
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:58   #8 (permalink)
Found On Rubbish Dumps

Hey guys I just got a trade-in price for my '91 EB-S XR8 (Auto,219,000 kms) and I got offered $6000 on an AU2 XR8. And I thought that was a bit ordinary! I thought my car was worth more on a trade in but now you guys are saying they're only worth that to sell privately....sheesh!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub