A similar paint thing to EA S. Years ago when I was about 18, 1st car and 1st job someone told me brake fluid made good paint stripper so as I worked at a brake shop and had abundant supplies of second-hand brake fluid I decided to give stripping back my crazed bonnet on my TD Cortina a go. Big mistake. I put the first coat on and left it for a few minutes and then scraped it off - hardly any difference just made the bonnet look worse. Repeated this about 4 or 5 times until I made the bonnet look totaly sh*t, down to undercoat in patches but mainly just flat dull(er) colour. I ended up having to go to the auto parts shop and buy 4lt of auto paint stripper (from memory it was around $50 a tin, quite expensive on a take home wage of $119) and a stack of sandpaper of various grits.
Eventually after several weekends of hard labour I managed to get the bonnet paint free enought to put some primer on. Not having a spray gun or knowing much about painting I bought some Duplicolour grey primer in the spray can. I thought two cans would do it. Not even close. At least another 4 later (big cans not the piss fart little ones) I was so sick of it I decided that that was as good as I was going to get so it was now time for the colour.
More spray cans. First of all though I had to work out what colour it was. It was a baby sh*t bronze metallic. In the Duplicolour range there were about 6 slightly different versions. I looked up the correct one from the compliance plate and purchased a few cans and went home and started spraying. Again it was very poor covering and it didn't look much like the colour that was on the rest of the car. :oo1:
It'll be right when I get more coverage I kept saying to myself. Never happened. Stood out like dogs gonads. At least it wsn't crazed. I was so sick of it all (this weekend project had turned into a couple of months) I didn't even bother (couldn't afford it either!) to put the clear coat on.
I just remembered another car painting disaster that I had before this on an old FC Holden I owned. I bought this old FC for $500, a stocker with the big block 138 Grey complete with stuffed oil rings. I knew absolutely nothing about cars and bought this on an impulse without really knowing anything about it or checking anything out. Apart from the stuffed motor it also had airconditioned rear quarter panels as well.
It was all sanded down ready for paint so my mate that lived a couple of doors down (who had a spray gun) said he would paint it for me for nothing, I just had to supply the paint.
I went to the auto paint shop and picked out a nice red and explained to the guy what I was doing and he suggested enamel paint, that way it's glossy of the gun and you don't have to buff it. Ok I said lets have it. Anything else I need, thinners maybe? just put the paint i an old pot on the stove for a while and heat it up until nearly boiling this guy said and you won't need thinners.
Not knowing any better I thanked the guy for his good advice and was on my way. Bastard is probably still laughing about this today. Probably tells all his mates about it every time they come around for a barbie.
Anyway, back to the spray job. We found an old saucepan and poured the paint tin and then tried to heat it up on the stove. Did that and then fillled up the first paint pot and fired up the spray gun. Interesting splatter effect that would of been more at home on the wall of the National Gallery than my FC was all that we could muster out of the gun.
The paint was way too thick. It was Sunday and the paint shop was closed (I had no $$ anyhow) so we couldn't go back and abuse the guy for his dodgy advice or even buy some thinners. Luckily my mate's Dad had a couple of small tins of thinners in his shed so as he was out we "borrowed" them in an attempt to get the car all one colour.
The paint started going on quite OK now and it was looking quite promising for a while...until the bugs flew in. I don't know if it was the colour or the smell or something else but all these bugs started suiciding themselves onto the fresh paint. Aaarrrrrggghh!! Being enamel it was about 24 hours before it was touch dry and by this time there were hundreds of bugs all over the damn car.:fmad:
I decided then that this wasn't the car for me so I advertised it for sale in the paper. I figured that I got ripped off there had to be someone else just as dumb to take the car off my hands. To "enhance" the sale further I put some gearbox oil in the motor to try and stop it smoking. it worked a treat until the engine got up to operating temperature and the oil lost all it's viscosity because it wasn't designed to work at such high temperature.
I had a couple of people come around and look at it but were put off because of the smokey motor and the rust. "Paint it yourself mate" was the standard comment. "No mate I paid five grand for that what do you reckon" was my smart arse reply.
A couple of biker blokes come along and took it for a test drive, I think my old man went with them to make sure they were going to bring it back. I watched the smoke cloud drive up the street and a few minutes later they returned and said they would buy it. I was sh*t scared they were going to see the rust and the smoke and beat me to a pulp for trying to rip them off. Didn't happen of course, they gave me the money, took the car and I never saw them or the car again.
Sorry for the long post everybody.