Whats your wishlist.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 02:22   #1 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Whats your wishlist..

For under the hood of the Barra You're going to buy?

I dont't think i'll be touching the V8s, unless they are REALLY good.

For me, its going to be a straight six with the forced induction that Ford Will be releasing (read: they better have something from the factory!). With the inline six, 24 valves, that should mean 24 separate ports from the head. I certainly hope that Ford leaves these ports split, IE non-siamesed. Should they be split, my wish is for them to feature unequal valve sizes (IE one large valve, one small valve for intake, same for exhaust), and continue the dual length intake runner setup first seen on the EF Falcon, except keeping the intake streams split, so some serious ram-tuning can occur. If Ford releases a twin-turbo six (PLEASE!!!!) I'd like two different sized turbos mated to manifolds featuring equal length runners, feeding into the appropriate manifolds (IE feed the boosted air from the smaller turbo through to the intake manifold that goes through to the smaller intake valves - Low End Torque!, Vice-Verca for the large valves - top-end power!). One thing I was thinking of the other day, also have a higher lift and more duration on the larger valve cam lobes, and treat these as a 'secondary', IE when the driver plants his/her foot, it opens up to give that familiar feeling in the lower back :)
I wouldnt mind paying top dollar for one of these babies in a TS40TT!

although its probably too late to do anything about the inline sixes which are most likely just about to begin production, its one of my wishes to see such a head on a local production car that will rival any six produced in the land of the rising sun, or will "Unterdrueken die Muenchner Freiheit" (a wisecrack at BMW)..

anyone else got their wishlist for Barra?
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2002, 02:54   #2 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

My next car was going to be an XR8 or depending on finances at the time (I'm thinking of buying a house) a TE50. However if Ford release the XR6 Turbo I'll definately be putting in my order for one.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:15   #3 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

I'm leaning towards the turbo 6 myself.. the 8 will be a ripper but the lure of easy power upgrades of the forced induction arrangement is extremely strong...
Old 03-15-2002, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Hey no one said you couldn't add some hairdryer action to the new V8s.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 05:36   #5 (permalink)
Dreamer

you can be looking at the hair dryer setup for the 8, but thats a $12,000 operationg aftermarket :p

as for twin turbo, one doesnt feed small valves, and the other feed bigger valves, that would require 12 intake runners, to individual valves, bit expensive, not enuff room.

twin turbo isnt crash hot anyhow, you'll notice that the mega power producing jap cars, are usualy one big ****R ball bearing turbo.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 05:46   #6 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally posted by anakha
Hey no one said you couldn't add some hairdryer action to the new V8s.
True, people keep saying that to me! But there's absolutely no chance I'll be spending out $12,000+ on an aftermarket turbo job for the V8 when $5,000 on the turbo 6 will get easy big hp.

Turbo V8 would be ideal of course, but if it's not from the factory then there's no way I can lease / package it.. :dead:
Old 03-15-2002, 05:59   #7 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

South

Quote:
as for twin turbo, one doesnt feed small valves, and the other feed bigger valves, that would require 12 intake runners, to individual valves, bit expensive, not enuff room.
Huh? In a V8 twin turbo setup each turbo is powered from one bank of exhaust ports and they would both push the air through the intercooler and into the same single intake opening. Nothing complex about that. Sure it would take some custom welding and be a tight fit but its doable. Can be done for lots less than 12k as well if you shop around for the turbos and can weld.

On the twin vs single thing, twins are going to give you more streetable power as they will spool up quicker. Sure if you're looking for a sub 10 sec drag car a huge single will do the job a la the US Pro 5.0 guys.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 06:24   #8 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hmmmm... TTV8

I wouldnt mind one..

If I get a barra - it would HAVE to be a V8... maybe a GT if they release one.

A GT barra - I would leave stock... so it would have to be very damn impressive!!
A XR or T series... I would mod straight away... so I wouldnt really care what its got - cos it wouldnt stay that way for long.
Old 03-15-2002, 14:12   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Mmm .. that's if there is a T-Series!!
Either way the 5.4 with the 4V heads is going to have some serious mumbo. Given the range of options Stateside for the modular V8 and the lack of parts interchangeability between the 4.6 and 5.4 I would be surprised to see more than one V8 choice. Given that a factory turbo 6 is going to produce something in the order of 220kw and the stock 4.6 is about 239kw it doesn't make a lot of sense to bother with the 4.6. I'd expect to see a 3V headed 5.4 with around 250kw and a 4V headed one in two states of tune that would top out around 300kw.
Mind u it wouldn't leave a suitable V8 towing option for Forte etc. so maybe I'm way off track !!
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 22:28   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Ford can lower the diff because they are going two peice tailshafts..

A 5.4L 24 valve V8 with a 3.9 Diff will tow much better than a 5.0 Windsor with 3.0 diff..

Really why would you want to stuff up a great 8 by using turbos.. I figure a 32Valve 5.4L would make a wonderful engine maybe able to get 400Kw naturally asperated on the street.

Supercharged and it would be great too. The supercharged 4.6 makes 300Kw, Im guessing the 5.4 would make big numbers too, well over 450kw..

Still its got to be tempting to get a 4.0 DOHC 24 valve turbo with a strong 5 speed, 3.9 Diff..

You really can't go wrong with any of them.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub