Who has worked on mines? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2003, 19:41   #1 (permalink)
Dreamer

Who has worked on mines?

Well im looking for a new source of employment, and there seems to be a lot of Drilling positions up north of WA currently available. I was wondering if anyone has done this, or still does, and what do you think of the work?

Some say you require MARCSTA, or atleast an induction. I have found a place to do a 1 day induction, but how do you go about obtaining the actual certificate?

All help and opinions appreciated.

South

P.S. if anyone is in need of an employee give us a shout :)
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2003, 22:41   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: Who has worked on mines?

hey man the marcsta saftey thing is actually pretty easy to get....just get in contact with marcsta and they will have a course every so often......im doing a vocational mining course at school and we managed to get this done for free we also go up 4 a week and work all the jobs of the mines.....im going up on the 2nd of october....but yeah if u r lookin for work in the mining industry definatley go for the marcsta cert.....they last 4 2 years then u go and get a renewal......i havent got a number but ive got an address if ur interested
A Reale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:10   #3 (permalink)
Green's Tuff!

I used to work at the Leinster mine, and also at the mine at Woodie Woodie, but I was a Chef so I can't help you. :s6:

Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 17:25   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage
I used to work at the Leinster mine, and also at the mine at Woodie Woodie, but I was a Chef so I can't help you. :s6:
At least you're honest. Had an uncle who was an invalid after vietnam. Had a major case of mental instability but he was still an alright bloke. Found out much later he was a REMF - cook!

Compare that to another friend - he was in the Engineers doing the Tunnel Rat thing and he's 100%......

100% certifiable!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:21   #5 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Marcsta tickets are one of the things required by the clients that employ contractors.
They are supposed to give you a general idea on safety in the industry.
As stated, they are easy to get and supposed to be renewed after 2 years.
Got mine some 4 years ago and initially they wanted everyone overdue to get renewed. The mine i work at don't seem to care about that now.
One thing that appears to be an asset for getting jobs is a first-aid certificate. I believe they are around $600 . Too much for my liking.

You mention drilling. I guess you would be starting off as a off-sider. Hard dirty work, though can be satisfying if you are into fitness.(Been there, done that). Don't know what the money is like, just it is usually the lowest paid untill more experience is gained.
Is the drilling in mine-sites or exploration out in the bush? Something to keep in mind is the drug screens they spring on you at unannounced times.
Lots of people have a few tokes on R&R and get done when returning to site.
Some companies, like ours, make you blow in the breatholiser every day at the start of shift. Not a problem as long as you drink in moderation.
If you want some more info about mining, send me a PM after monday as i fly back to Perth monday night.
Previous post mentioned Woodie Woodie. Great little site, when it is in operation. Worked there in '67 and '91. (Yes i'm an oldie, hehe).

Jon

Last edited by dragonV8; 06-28-2003 at 06:25.
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub