Why the Barra may still struggle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Has Ford done enough exterior changes?
Yep the car looks fantastic! 127 89.44%
The car looks too much like a AU! :( 15 10.56%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2002, 17:41   #1 (permalink)

Why the Barra may still struggle

OK so ford went back to the drawing board with the Barra - $500 million dollars. I think most people agree the first AU looked crap. The AU series II however looked like a huge improvement, inside and out - BUT this STILL didn't lift sales. The Barra still looks like a AU so how will sales improve just by the look of the car. Without question the new breed of engines and other interior enhancements are fantastic but I think the car will suffer by it looking too much like a AU.

... and they WILL shoot themselves in the foot if they touch the XR 4 headlight setup! They have already gone back to old days by making the low series cars look similar to the high series models (criticism of the EL).

Have they done enough exterior changes?

Jules
jbugeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2002, 17:53   #2 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

What about the new engines, suspension, features, etc?
Old 07-15-2002, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

You have to remember that this model is a lot more than just exterior changes and also the facelift is quite significant compared to the difference between AU1 to AUIII.

The all new engines, interior and suspension is all part of the package and I think it is going to do very well

95' EF Falcon Series II
Spinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Joe public will perceive this as an all new car.
It is in all reality probably closer to an all new car than it appears to us (H/Core auto enthusiasts with a leaning to Ford). The swith to BA from AU will help with this perception.

I am still amazed that people can not pick EF-EL as being from the same lineage as EA-ED. To the non-enthusiast these were all-new Falcons also.
Old 07-15-2002, 18:28   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinksy
You have to remember that this model is a lot more than just exterior changes and also the facelift is quite significant compared to the difference between AU1 to AUIII.

The all new engines, interior and suspension is all part of the package and I think it is going to do very well
Could not have said it better Spinksy. Its the package thats got to make the difference not just the look alone. All that needs to happen with the looks is that they dont offend and can be seen as a competitor to Commode in the looks department. I think its the goods in these areas for a neutral person not just my biased opinion. This is also comparing to the current Commodore which is at the top of the tree and no matter how succesfull has to be facelifted. From spy pics the new Commode its looking too rounded for its body even though it has nice individual feutures eg headlights etc.

Then theres the rest of the package such as the suspension,NVH,extra feutures,Kick butt engines, {possibly side airbags and improved safety} etc. The only thing going for Holden is momentum but as we all know that can turn quickly. On the flip side of the coin what will VY have that new Falcon wont? 5 Auto is yet to be confirmed and people will hardly buy a Commode for Xenon lights.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

The new Bommerdore, I hope, will get the publicty it deserves. None. Some parts in the "all new" VT can be traced back to the VL. Quite sad actually.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 18:35   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Yeah yet you never hear any of that all you hear is Falcons engine is that many years old blah blah blah.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 18:40   #8 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

Don't jinx the new car by talking it down B4 it has even been released. Wait till 3-6mths after then see.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 18:46   #9 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

eek Sorry

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. Parts of the Chassis go back. An old version of the transmission (auto) was used in Rolls Royces in 1945. The Body panels come from the 94 Opel Omega (see attached).

Last edited by ford.boy; 08-15-2003 at 17:22.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 19:09   #10 (permalink)
Australian AUII XR6 HP Member

maybe they should have changed the rear lights completely
It does not matter how good the suspension or engine is , if the public don't like the look of the car they wont buy it
PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub