Why does a Landcruiser ute cost $40k +??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2002, 16:21   #1 (permalink)
Don't be a sheep

Question Why does a Landcruiser ute cost $40k +???

I saw an ad on TV the other day, and it got me wondering. The Toyota Lancruiser ute (78 series I think it's called) costs more than $40k, but the basic design has not changed much for 20 years. The only thing they seemed to of changed was putting coils springs in the front, big deal. How can they charge that much for such an old design. I think the Nissan Patrol is much better, but if I was in the market for such a vehicle it would be a 7.3L diesel V8 F350, now that's a ute.
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2002, 17:40   #2 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Re: Why does a Landcruiser ute cost $40k +???

Quote:
Originally posted by ELXR8
I saw an ad on TV the other day, and it got me wondering. The Toyota Lancruiser ute (78 series I think it's called) costs more than $40k, but the basic design has not changed much for 20 years. The only thing they seemed to of changed was putting coils springs in the front, big deal. How can they charge that much for such an old design. I think the Nissan Patrol is much better, but if I was in the market for such a vehicle it would be a 7.3L diesel V8 F350, now that's a ute.
You ever asked somebody who's in the market for one of "these" kinds of vehical why they'd buy a 78 series?

Im sure they'd shed light on why. :rcool:

btw, id rather a landcruiser in the middle of nowhere than a hitech wizbang F350...
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 18:35   #3 (permalink)
tickford_xr8

There probably trying to get back the money that they lost from all the farmers getting rebates on there vehicles.
So the yuppies in sydney have to pay more to go urban 4x4ing.

Anyway i rekon they should all get the F350 so they can all pull a road train out of a bog hole in the middle of there propeties. Because the add says they can pull a 100+ tonne truck out of mud. Better than a landcruiser.

Also, how are all the country bumkins going to afford to buy a 78 series landcruiser and then put all there aerials everywhere and giant Mack truck mud flaps on it. With there B&S ball stickers and Bundy rum pictures. With a set of 35 inch swampy's and big Kernagan stereo's!! :tophat:
Old 06-10-2002, 20:50   #4 (permalink)
BA Turbo

Quote:
Originally posted by tickford_xr8
Also, how are all the country bumkins going to afford to buy a 78 series landcruiser and then put all there aerials everywhere and giant Mack truck mud flaps on it.
:err: more easily than a F350 too, 250 & 350s are upwards of about 60Ks
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Don't be a sheep

Re: Re: Why does a Landcruiser ute cost $40k +???

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyc

You ever asked somebody who's in the market for one of "these" kinds of vehical why they'd buy a 78 series?

Im sure they'd shed light on why. :rcool:

btw, id rather a landcruiser in the middle of nowhere than a hitech wizbang F350...
I know why, it's the same as why the crummydore sells so well, because everyone else is doing it, a lot of people are just sheep, and are to scared to go against the "norm":bhrmmm:
Old 06-10-2002, 22:51   #6 (permalink)

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I'm not trying to justify the hike in price, but have you ever driven one off road? My brother has a 93/94 PC landcruiser and this thing just flys through the boggy stuff no worries. It went better than an f350, nissan and mitsubishi!!
Old 06-10-2002, 23:15   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xf_xr6
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I'm not trying to justify the hike in price, but have you ever driven one off road? My brother has a 93/94 PC landcruiser and this thing just flys through the boggy stuff no worries. It went better than an f350, nissan and mitsubishi!!
i have to agree. while i'm not a fan of 4x4s in my experience the landcruisers have had the edge on the competition for a long time. i would definitely prefer to be in a landcruiser than a f350 if i was going bush.

also, i think you'll find that regardless of the external simmilarities of the current models to older ones, the internals have been upgraded constantly through the years.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 00:47   #8 (permalink)
Don't be a sheep

Quote:
Originally posted by PURSUTE

also, i think you'll find that regardless of the external simmilarities of the current models to older ones, the internals have been upgraded constantly through the years.
I have had a bit of a look into this, the only things that have changed are:
engine mods
coils spring front end
interior changes

The chassis (apart from the coil front end) gearbox transfer case are all the same.

The best thing I ever drove off road was when I was in the army, was a 6X6 landrover and the Unimog (Merc truck) these things would go anywhere.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:30   #9 (permalink)

If i had to be driving offroad a fair bit the Landcruiser would my choice easily.
Tim_EF_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 03:19   #10 (permalink)

Watch the Discovery or National Geographic channel.
8 out of 10, of the people working in remote, extreme areas, drive Landcruisers, the other 2 drive beat up series 1 Land Rovers.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub