Why is Fords customer service so lousy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 23:48   #1 (permalink)
Otherwise known as Robbo

Why is Fords customer service so lousy

Hi guys need some quick advice:

I dropped my BA XR6 off today at Power Ford as the brakes are shuddering once again (3 machines so far), however this isn't my problem. The car has 25,000kms and about 3000kms after the cars 15000km service the handbrake stopped working (apparantly a common problem with the BA and AU?) So when I dropped off the car I said:

"Oh by the way the handbrake dosnt work, could you fix it up".
Dealer "sorry sir the handbrake is a servicable item which means we would have to charge you for it"
Me: "its a new car under a warranty, its covered by that warranty"
Dealer "no its the same as oil, disk pads ect. they require adjusting or replacement, this is not covered by warranty"
Me: "but it was fine at the 15,000km service, how does a handbrake need adjusting every 3000kms?"
Dealer "sorry there is nothing i can do, you must pay for us to fix it"
Me "when i bought the car i had a handbrake, now my handbrake dosnt work due to manufacturer fault so you must replace it, Im not going to argue about it now"

I then walked out as I was getting seroiusly pissed and plan to call the service manager tomorrow.

Now do I have a leg to stand on? Are Ford full of shite or is the handbrake a "servicable" item? I would have thought a degree or reasonable tolerance would be the way to go ie. if your handbrake dosnt work every 3000kms then it needs replacing under warranty, if it goes out of whack every 50,000kms then this reasonable and is a service adjustment?

And all this after I just decided against selling the car as I love it too much despite some of the problems it has had (brake shudder, coolant leak - all the typical BA crap). Why are Ford so eager to lose customers - why argue about a handbrake that would take some mechanic 5 seconds to fix and lose a customer forever????????

Beats me.
Also - Kawasaki ZZR, soon to be Kawasaki ZX6R.
XRSIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 00:24   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Why is Fords customer service so lousy

Well if a handbrake in an X series falcon can last more than 30 years I don't see why a BA one wont. So yeah you do have a leg to stand on. Unless it's just adjustment?

Brenden
Old 09-08-2004, 00:34   #3 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

The guy you talked to at power ford sounds like the king of king tossers.I put my own brakes in my au falcon and I assure you it has a brake shoe and adjuster in it as well.The only time the handbrake goes is if it is not installed properly in the first place and comes off.The only other time they dont work is when the cable snaps...Either way you have entered a legally binding contract with ford and they as part of that contract have to make good defects in that vehicle.If they fail to fulfill their statutory and fiduciary obligations to them then you are entitled damages as compenstation..or the repair of the defect at their cost.A court order can be ultimately be made and an injunction put on force so that they fullfill their specific performance..They in effect by refusing to assist you are not complying with their contract..I am pretty sure thats how it works ..so double check my info first before acting on it.
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 00:42   #4 (permalink)
.au member

'Servicable items' are stuff like oil, filters etc - not a damn handbrake!

Take no crap and go all the way to DP about it if you can. That kind of bullsh!t is utterly ridiculous.
Old 09-08-2004, 00:48   #5 (permalink)
Scoob010

The ratchett on the lever screws up. If this is what happened then it's
warranty, no buts. If it is adjustment again it's service. For all they know you've
tried to drive off with the handbrake still on (have you?) or done something else.
Basically if it needs adjusting, why? The cables have been stretched. I'm not
saying they shouldn't write it off, it's only an adjustment for fks sake, or that
you have done anything, just that it does make litteral sense somewhere. Why
didn't he/she explain this to you?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:07   #6 (permalink)
Otherwise known as Robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob010
The ratchett on the lever screws up. If this is what happened then it's
warranty, no buts. If it is adjustment again it's service. For all they know you've
tried to drive off with the handbrake still on (have you?) or done something else.
Basically if it needs adjusting, why? The cables have been stretched. I'm not
saying they shouldn't write it off, it's only an adjustment for fks sake, or that
you have done anything, just that it does make litteral sense somewhere. Why
didn't he/she explain this to you?
nope never driven with the handbrake on.
Also - Kawasaki ZZR, soon to be Kawasaki ZX6R.
XRSIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:25   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Does the owner's manual still list what is done at each service?

20 bucks riding the only time handbrake is mentioned it is right next to "adjust".
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:42   #8 (permalink)
slikxb

You'd think ford would be embarresed about a 20000km handbrake and fix it with an apoligy. It must be something to do with how sucessful the BA's are, that theyv'e decided customer service is a waste of time. You could alway's sell your BA and buy my XB, (that doesn't have a handbrake) LOL.
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:46   #9 (permalink)
BLACK PANTHER

XRSIK heard a rumor that if disc shudder is a common fault in the Ba xr 6 and 8 and also if need to be machined 3 times if it occurs again they will replace discs under warranty me myself are fighting this one with my dealer as they are telling me that l have heat cracks and hot spots on my discs, which then explained... well they wouldnt have this problem if they havent been machined three bloddy times as there would be more heat disapation so what l will say GOODLUCK to the both of us......

PS ford know that there is a problem but have no fix
ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:57   #10 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Take it to Nathan at Peter Warren Ford at Smithfield or at least give him a ring. He is the service manager there and has looked after every one of us from Ford Forums.

Over the years I've been to a few dealers around Sydney and he is by far the best I've come across.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub