Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Sticks of Central TX
Re: Why NOS Isn't Street Legal
the story behind that little explosion.
The IDIOT...yes IDIOT. I can not use any other term otherwise I would be censored on here. That IDIOT did the following wrong.
1. He installed the heating blanket for the Nitrous on the bottle without the ignition switch circuit, basically running full 12v line without safety switch. Just used a TOGGLE switch. Installed correctly it wont allow you to run the blanket/heater unless the keys are in ON position and the switch is set. Also, this comes with a pressure transducer to detect bottle pressure, which was not installed as well as the ignition module.
2. He installed two pressure release valves on the bottle. That was done so that he could OVER FILL the bottle. With that known the pressure build up on the bottle would not be accurate and if he even had the proper switch installed it would have shut off at 1050PSI, but with two it can not read right.
3. His bottle can hold a max of 33.5# and he stated it was filled to 35#. That in itself is dumb.
4. The blow-off valve was installed after
the manual shut-off valve. hello?? that is not going to allow it to do its job. SORRY.
5. He deserves the Darwin award for all of the above.
There are more things that he did wrong. Of course they are not painting him in a pretty light over this. He was stupid. He flucked it all up. He will not release the evidence to NX or their councel to have it independantly tested. He started a site and then told NX that he would take it down for 500k USD. Then that price went up.
Finally, like all retrofits, the job is only as safe as the installer is thorough. This one there were a lot of things done improperly. If he had a professional do the job, he would be at the guys door with an ironclad lawsuit. But alas he installed it wrong, admits it and now has to cry his case on a public forum like the internet.
Last edited by LunaticSVT; 08-19-03 at 12:58 AM.