Why are XR8 manuals so hard to find???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2002, 18:46   #1 (permalink)
Australian Member

Why are XR8 manuals so hard to find????

I'm in the market for a new or near new car and one serious option is an XR8 from ELII onwards. The problem is nearly 95% of what I see second hand is automatics and I want a 5 speed. When I do find a manual it is either way too expensive for what it is (try $29000 for an ELII) or has been thrashed to death with high kms.

Now I am prepared to pay a premium for a good car but there are just none around in a manual (here in Canberra anyway). At this stage I am seriously considering buying a new AUIII and optioning it as a real driver's car (5 speed, momo gear, premium brakes, etc) which hardly anyone seems to do. Of course I then start to think why not wait until the AV ...

The other option is to just buy something like a late model WRX which would suit my need for speed but I don't like the insurance cost, constant fear it would be stolen and they're a bit small.

If anyone knows of a manual ELII XR8 onwards with decent kms, some options (mainly cruise) and in good nick let me know. I have mates in Brisbane and Melbourne who could look at a car for me too.
XC_GS_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2002, 18:54   #2 (permalink)

a few years back, i read that something like every new car in 10 is a manual. hardly anyone buys them anymore, and it's really disappointing that there aren't more manual cars on the roads. the scariest thing is that in 10-15 years, manual cars will be nearly obsolete, and if you wanted one, you'd have to pay a premium like you used to pay for automatics several years ago. nowadays, the only sure way to buy a good manual car is to buy it brand new, or to buy an auto and have it converted!
Old 04-05-2002, 19:48   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

I guess a lot of new car buyers dont want to drive manual (especially with city driving).

I also know quite a few people who dont know how to drive manual (mostly guys, but a few girls too)

Keep looking - you will find one. I guess I was lucky when I was looking for my car.. It was in the 2nd car yard I went to... the only one that was taken on a test drive too.
Old 04-05-2002, 19:58   #4 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

In 6 months of searching, I found exactly 3 EL2 manuals. One was a rough white stocker with no options, the second was in Unique Cars with everything and a $10,000 price excess, the last one had my name written on it :s6:

Keep an eye out.. I hear a certain EL2 may be up for sale soon...
Old 04-05-2002, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

The problem is the new car market demands automatics. Company cars are nearly all autos, most private buyers perfer autos for themselves or the partner to drive (auto being the lowest common denominator). Most cars spend the first coupla years in the city area anyway (cause thats where the money and people is).

The second hand car market everyone wants a Manuel. No gearbox rebuilds as soon as you buy it, more fun, more economical on fuel, more power, simplier. People who buy 2nd hand manuels userally keep them as they wanted that particular car and won't upgrade every model. People who buy 2nd hand cars userally buy them for themselves.

I think car companies should be more careful about getting everyone into Autos. Its going to hurt resale, people don't want 4 year old auto rep mobiles, well not as much as a manuel in the second hand car market. They should encorage more buyers to choose the manuel options, make it avalible on low and high end models.

In the end a auto is going to be more costly to run, CVT are going to be very costly to repair. A 5/6 speed manuel may make no sense at purchase time because its just as quick as most modern autos, most aussie manuels have fairly heavy clutches so in traffic are a bit painful, but in 10 years its totally diffrent. Autos become extremely costly with more rebuilds, with things buggering up, wearing out and falling off. The manuel just needs its oil checked and a clutch replaced after a few 100,000 km's.

I found in the country type areas more choice can sometimes be had, it seems, people like the manuel car simplicity, ability to roll start it (good if theres no help around), plus its more efficent, more reliable.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 21:23   #6 (permalink)
FPV - TC NSW Promotions

Don't want to rub it in, but.................

I FOUND ONE
I FOUND ONE
I FOUND ONE

It wasn't easy, almost gave up.... but there are a few.....
Old 04-05-2002, 21:34   #7 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

I think its just that most new car buyers want an XR, but are lazy assh#$s like me, who can drive stick, but couldn't be bothered as we have to negotiate peak hr traffic every damn day.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 21:39   #8 (permalink)
Australian Member

Iphido you have got it dead right. The market looks like it is flooded with 1-3 year old auto XRs that have been bought by companies or middle ages execs going through a mid life crisis. I guess people who tend to buy manuals are more likely private owners who will hang on to their cars longer.

Pity really, as I think it devalues the whole 2nd hand market image for hi-po Falcons. Makes die hard Ford fans like me think about jumping ship.

Mr Sparkle, how soon is soon and can you give any hints as to what the specs are for the vehicle??? I guess I should also say I would like something that is stock (or very close).
XC_GS_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 22:45   #9 (permalink)
goooone

Because there are too many lazy arsed limp wrists out there
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 22:54   #10 (permalink)

When looking for near new car for myself last time, there were so many auto XR's in the yards it amazed me. Couldn't find any manuals. I think you're right on there Mr Jucy!
Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub