Will I get booked ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2003, 02:33   #1 (permalink)
Own the road

Will I get booked ?

On the way home today I had a run in with a suped up subaru.

Stoped at the lights was this white moded liberty a persian green ED or maybe EB and me. I took off at normal acceleration from the lights and heard the subi's turbo spooling up and then I decided to see how good it was so I punched the accelarator and as I was only doing about 40 it kicked down to first and took off. We were side by side with the subi, both of us leaving the ED behind(who was also giving it a bit). Quickly approaching the next set of red lights we hit the brakes and pulled up behind the traffic.

As we take off I noticed the ED getting very close to the side of my car and eye balling me. I looked over only to see an off duty police officer. He pointed to the police patch on his shoulder and then at me, then he took off after the subi who was weaving through the traffic.

I wouldn't have been going too fast as I hit the brakes as I went from first gear to second, first gear revs out to around 75km. I was on plenty road in the 80km stretch.

Now my question is.
can an off duty police officer report you if he thinks you were speeding even though he was off duty, had no rader and has no proof ?

As I said I didn't go over the speed limit so I was not speeding, but I did accalerate hard. I did rev out first gear, but there was no wheel spin.

The cop himself pushed his car aswell.

225.7rwkw with BluePower tune

Last edited by myte8; 11-30-2003 at 19:55.
myte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 02:40   #2 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

Re: Will I get booked ?

umm no. cant do you for speeding.

he could chase you up later if he got your plates and do you for another offence... but i wouldnt worry unless he came to your house lookin for ya. (to write out a ticket)

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:44   #3 (permalink)
gone

Maaate!

You should have been at calder instead!

I have had the same situation some 15 years ago and nothing happened from it!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:49   #4 (permalink)

maaybe it was the only way he could win?
Walgettion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:39   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

you CAN be booked for speeding by an off duty police officer. It's a lot harder to prove but by no means impossible.
More to the point, it is very rare for an off duty police officer to wear their uniform in their own car for safety reasons. If I had the rego of the ED I would be making a call to the local police station ( not admitting to any offences of course !! ) to check up on the legitimacy of it all. There is one security mob that have a uniform that is very much like the police uniform and would easily be mistaken at a glance.
Personally I wouldn't get too worried about it.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:49   #6 (permalink)

Remember, say/admit nothing!!!!!!!!!!! You are only legally bound to give your name and address and supply your license. Otherwise with respect to questions, tell it to the judge!
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:05   #7 (permalink)
kickerinthegutsbarry

a mate of mine had an of duty police officer follow him thru town one day while he was on his gsxr600, and he caught him riding without his hands on the handle bars for about 5 seconds and "clocked him" (with his ea speedo) at about 75 in 60 zone. went to court got $500 fine. so nothing is impossible.

apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:05   #8 (permalink)
Own the road

Yea not too worried about it, Just though it was strange that he would pull up right next to me and give me a greasy..

225.7rwkw with BluePower tune
myte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:06   #9 (permalink)
freelance

the only thing they are likely to book you for is miss-spelling brakes (breaks :>).

I wouldn't worry too much, but it does pay to check the situation on a public road. Nothing worse than being booked for being dumb. Not that I think you were being dumb.

I've had lotsa plod point the finger at me and make me cool it. They are the boss they have a book ful of empty tickets to prove it. Remember most coppers are petrol heads too. If you dont go on with it or carry on like a tool they often let you go with a dirty look or a smart a#se remark. Thats my experience in Vic and NSW anyway.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:31   #10 (permalink)

I had a similar experience once heading north along the Cumberland Hwy in my Tickford'd EF Futura. I had this young pointy head actually catch up to me and pull alongside when we stopped at the lights. I looked across and saw him put his badge on his dash as if to say "I'm the law and you need to pay attention to me" (if only he knew). I threw my head back and gave a big Felix the cat chuckle and gave it a bootfull when the lights changed leaving him to choke on my exhaust. He caught up to me at the next lights and did the same thing so I got out a piece of paper and a pen and showed it to him and started writing. Suffice to say that he immediately looked away and left me alone at the next change of lights.

The hide of some of these young coppers who think they know the law inside out and can intimidate you into conforming.

Mate unless they actually pull you over dont pay them any attention. They need to get your drivers licence and actually speak to you to take any action.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub