Windows XP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2001, 13:34   #1 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Thumbs up Windows XP

So far, I like it, ALOT. It is SOOO much better than 98 SE which I was using before. I never tried ME because I knew that XP would be worth the wait. The installation went very smooth except for the fact that it didnt like my SCSI disk drivers. That was solved by using the Win 2000 drivers. Even after the installation it had a problem with them, but downloading the newest 2000 drivers off the net seemed to clear up the problem. Another thing that I had to do was go into the registry to enable DMA-66, for some reason it uses DMA-33 as default. Overall I love it, the look is FANTASTIC. It makes even FF look like it's been redesigned! I have not had a single crash yet, although a few of my games have acted up on me. (Maybe because some are not designed for Win 2000 (which is what XP was built on for reliability)

ANYWAYS, who else made the jump, and what do you think about it?

Laters,
Marc

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2001, 15:33   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

tried it and did not like it. i will stick to my Linux
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Yeah Linux looks really nice, however I am not sure how compatible it is with Windows programs and games. I know there are emulators, but can Linux run Windows software not under emulation? Also, what is the best version of Linux to get? Red-Hat? What version are they up to now?

Laters,
Marc

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 12:13   #4 (permalink)
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member

Thumbs up

I think XP is pretty nice, so far anyway. As for Linux, I have never really gotten a good feel for it. I just don't have the time to put into it.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:54   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Quote:
Originally posted by Vulcan Power
Yeah Linux looks really nice, however I am not sure how compatible it is with Windows programs and games. I know there are emulators, but can Linux run Windows software not under emulation? Also, what is the best version of Linux to get? Red-Hat? What version are they up to now?

Laters,
Marc
what cheesie windows programs would you want to run under linux?

Games you will need an emulator for unless the manufacturer has created it for linux...which most are doing so.

Photoshop sucks on anything but a MAC. There are tons of graphics programs that run under linux that are as good if not better than Adobe photoshop.

word and excel suck cause of portablitiy and the fact that they release so many macro virii for anything microshaft. There is Star Office and it is free and has the same abilities as office 2002

You can run a host of browsers under linux as well as the IE version. Mail clients you can use just about any of them. Not sure if outlook 2002 is available or not, but i dont run it or want to so i live with Agent. It is a lot better then outlook is more flexability and you can spoof header information in it better...hehehe

As far as the version of Linux to use. Well if you want to run redhat for the ease of the install then go for it.

I personally run both Solaris Unix and my own version of linux. I have a custom kernel and have compiled it for my use only. I would avoid the name brands of redhat and caldera. they both are plagued with issues.

If you want ease then get redhat it is easy to install and setup. You can then go and customize your kernal with what you want.

I personally started with Slackware 8.0 and customized my kernel. I have just done the latest alan cox patch as well to make my kernal 2.4.13 It runs sweet as can be.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:56   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Quote:
Originally posted by s-code
I think XP is pretty nice, so far anyway. As for Linux, I have never really gotten a good feel for it. I just don't have the time to put into it.
It is not that hard to learn. ifyou know DOS then you can pick this up with ease.

You can do it either with a gui interface or as us true [H]ardcore users doit. command line.
Old 10-30-2001, 13:23   #7 (permalink)
Mod/Vintage Mustang Member

I should give it some more time. I have 2 versions of it currently. I have Red Hat 6.something, and one called Turbo Linux which I found to be actually nicer that Red Hat.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:31   #8 (permalink)
gone

Just installed Xp over Win me

Interesting that xp is based on Nt technology as demonstrated by Nortons Failing to work, drivers for laser printer failing and sound car now only working in digital rather than analog!

Not bad so far, will have to load on laptop to see what it is like!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub