Winwood in SA round - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2001, 05:00   #1 (permalink)

Winwood in SA round

Winwood Prepared for Home Town Showdown

Six times Aussie Car National Rally Champion, Steve Winwood, is prepared for a showdown with fellow competitors as the Australian Rally Championship returns to his home state of South Australia on July 8 and 9.

The Coopers Pale Ale Rally of South Australia is the first time the national championship has visited the Festival State for six years.

“Personally I believe it's been too long since South Australia held a round of the Championship,” said Winwood.

“I can't wait to get back on the fast and spectacular roads of Adelaide - they offer incredible viewing for the public!”

Winwood has refreshed his gravel spitting Ford Falcon XR8 since the last Round in Queensland thanks to the further assistance from Southside Ford in Brisbane.

Along with co-driver Lofty Drews, Winwood will be out to press home the local advantage in his quest to capture a seventh Aussie Car title.

“I've got a lot of family, friends and local businesses who have assisted me in the past,” said Winwood.

“Even though we haven't had a local Australian Championship round for a number of years, Adelaide companies like ROH Wheels and Aurora Springs have stood by me”, said Winwood.

“By going out and putting on a real show is my way of saying thanks for their support.

“I’m sure this event will be a further step towards my aim of netting that seventh Championship.”

While Winwood is out to impress in the rally with a stunning display of aggressive sideways driving in the Genuine Ford Parts Falcon, he is all too aware that a strong points finish is critical at the midway point in the Championship.

“There are a number of local drivers entered in the rally who will look to go hard from the word go,” Winwood said.

“I'm content to push hard, but not too hard, as I am in an excellent points position.

“I will pace myself and let the rally unfold - I won't be disappointed if we come away with a second place.

“It's not all about winning each heat from here on, it's about winning a Championship."

“Make no mistake, I will still put on a show for the local fans - so expect nothing less than total commitment at the spectator points, including the Wayville Showground Special Stage!

“Rally fans want excitement and action and that's my job, to wake them up after seeing some of the sleepy and calm 4WD competitors!"

The 2001 Coopers Pale Ale Rally of SA kicks off from the Royal Adelaide Showgrounds on Saturday 7 July.

Crews then head out to the Mt. Crawford forest and its adjoining shire roads for nine stages before returning to the Royal Adelaide showgrounds stage to complete the day's 106 competitive kilometres.

The second heat consists of a further nine special stages totalling 106 kilometres, the last a super special stage once again back at the Showgrounds.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub