Women and Muscle Cars: An Uneasy Alliance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 20:23   #1 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Women and Muscle Cars: An Uneasy Alliance

Women and Muscle Cars: An Uneasy Alliance

"Well Arnie? Who do you spend more time with, huh? Me or HER?" - Leigh Cabot, from the Stephen King novel "Christine."

Women and muscle cars. What picture does that conjure in your mind? A V8 supergirl? Angelina Jolie in Gone in 60 Seconds?

A particular snapshot sticks in mine. Sitting at a set of traffic lights years back, a black VB Commodore bouncing up and down next to me, thumping like a Harley. Gradually, the thumping gets erratic, coughs and stops. In one fluid motion, taking no more than 30 seconds, the bloke at the wheel pops the bonnet, the well dressed and quite good looking girl in the passenger's seat opens the glovebox, gets out a screwdriver, hops out, opens the bonnet, turns something on the carbie, yells "right", the car starts, the bonnet slams, she gets back in and they drive off.

... and all I could think was - "Where do I get myself one of those??" Unfortunately, the girl in MY passenger's seat fixed me with a steely glare and said "Don't even THINK about it..."

As car enthusiasts, I'm sure we can all appreciate how much time and effort goes in to our hobby. We listen with awe as other blokey blokes reel off how many hundred hours they spent getting the fins on their '57 Chev dead straight before sending it to the paint shop. Men who've spent so long under bonnets that they can tell by ear whether that XC is running the Thermoquad or a 4 barrel Holley. Men who spend hours in private turmoil over whether they want the 6A-L or the Digital 6. Men who buy Valentines Day presents on the 14th, after a split second decision whether to go service station roses or a box of choccies.

I freely admit that I just don't see the problem with this. Unfortunately, members of the fairer sex are on to us. Like Arnie's overly demanding spouse in Christine, they demand "quality time." They can't comprehend how we define a romantic night out as a sit-down meal at Harry's Diner. They question the social usefulness of a trip to the wreckers on a Saturday morning in the never-ending quest for a straight GS bonnet.

Historically, altogether too much focus has been put on what our girlfriends and wives have to “put up with.” Really, it is US that should be righteously aggrieved. How many of us have been disheartened by our significant other's "yes, that's nice dear", when we excitedly proclaim that she's not dropping a cylinder any more. This lack of interest shows a callous disregard for our feelings, from the same class of people who think themselves perfectly justified to interrogate us at length as to whether we prefer the violet skirt or the mauve skirt, when we'd really prefer neither.

Some are even openly hostile towards both our hobby and our pride and joy. Someone who shall remain nameless is in the habit of referring to my vehicle as “that thing”, and has on occasion insisted on it being parked a block away from a party so as to not draw attention to our arrival and exit. But how would she react if I told her that the outfit she was wearing drew too much attention? I can only imagine.

The elusive and much sought-after “Performance Car Girlfriend,” as seen in the anecdote at the beginning of this piece may be a viable solution. A short investigation has revealed some confusion as to whether these creatures occur naturally or must be trained in to the role. For those not willing to attempt to mould one from an ordinary girlfriend, it has been observed that Torana drivers seem to have an ever-ready supply.

Unfortunately, this struggle is age-old, and is unlikely to be overcome by compromise or argument, reason or emotion. As our girlfriends and wives complain about our worked XE, our mothers complained about our father's FJ's, our grandmothers complained about our grandfather's A-models and so on, from the present day right back through the mists of time to the invention of the wheel. The best we can do is simply accept it as a burden of our hobby, and compromise when the annoying noise from the left hand side of the car (the one that isn't the overtightened wheel bearing) becomes too much to bear.

Of course, it is important not to generalise. I recall a particularly spirited piece of driving along a very straight country road with my best mate and his girlfriend in the car. Being the brave soul that I am, I was too scared to look down at the speedo. Said mate in the front passenger's seat can't get his white knuckles off the arm rest and centre console to look. Unexpectedly, his girlfriend in the back seat pops her seatbelt off and climbs forward over the centre console and reads the dial for me. And tells me to keep going. No, you can't have her phone number...

Some may say that my account of this social phenomenon is somewhat biased. In consideration of this, I extend an open invitation for females or female-sympathisers to post a reply.

N. Holliday
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Women and Muscle Cars: An Uneasy Alliance

Long post... But yeah, car chicks = cool chicks. Especially when they are hot car chicks.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

yes, which is how they all should be

although some you cant tell if they are male/female!
Old 08-25-2004, 20:41   #4 (permalink)
FCT Queen Bee

I'm a car chick, always have been, always will be. I love helping my dad with his current project car, I don't mind getting greasy & dirty etc & high speeds don't scare me. I'd love nothing more than giving my b/f (if I had one) a hand with fixing his car, I might learn something new, or he could be surprised with how much I know I know alot of girls though who are not into cars & can not understand how I can be.
Old 08-25-2004, 20:41   #5 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

well said. i know what its like when you accomplish something that has been driving you nuts for weeks. the shear excitement of it and 'oh i must tell someone..." but when you do its the ' huh....oh thats good, anyway........'
yes it is disappointing that the other half doesnt feel as passionate or excited as i do about cars.
Old 08-25-2004, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Quote:
Historically, altogether too much focus has been put on what our girlfriends and wives have to put up with. Really, it is US that should be righteously aggrieved. How many of us have been disheartened by our significant other's "yes, that's nice dear", when we excitedly proclaim that she's not dropping a cylinder any more. This lack of interest shows a callous disregard for our feelings, from the same class of people who think themselves perfectly justified to interrogate us at length as to whether we prefer the violet skirt or the mauve skirt, when we'd really prefer neither.
Exactley

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 20:56   #7 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

You see, I think there's another side to all of this that rarely gets discussed because us blokes are too busy comparing engine capacities, how big our tyres are or in layman's terms, trying to find out who's got the bigger dick.

We all want to have a girlfriend/wife who will take as much of an interest in cars as we do. Yes, in some remote part of my brain, I want to have a woman who can tune my 350 Holley because I haven't the slightest bloody clue how to even think about it.

But can you imagine the conversations I'd have with her? We'd talk about cars all night long... wow. Isn't that exciting? Frankly, I'd be close to booking the first flight to the middle of nowhere to get away from her after a while. And I haven't even thought about the arguments we'd have about same...

"That's not an XA GT - it's clearly a GS that's been made up to be a GT"
"No, it's a genuine one... "
"Look at the fecking chassis plate then, you stupid half-witted bitch!"

*ahem*

Of course, they'd be longer than that with much more to-ing and fro-ing, but you get the idea. Neither I nor my wife would back down at all and we'd end up killing each other.

Perhaps I'm biased because of the situation I'm in, but I actually like the fact that my wife doesn't give a toss about my car. I also like the fact that she doesn't care if my piston-to-bore clearance is within acceptable limits. I can bore her stupid with all manner of car-related crap, and she'll just stare right through me, not giving a shit. It's great, it really is.

And do you want to know why? Because it means that when she talks about kittens or knitting, I can get away with just a smile and constant nodding, secretly thinking about how combustible freshly-squeezed kitten juice might be. Or perhaps how much of a mess it would make if I put a live one in the microwave on defrost (slower, more painful for the kitten and therefore more fun to watch, I wager).

No, you can keep revhead girls. Too much social interaction required by far.
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 20:59   #8 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

Neeek has a really good point above....all the while, we have been thinking "how can we merge the two together" when we should really be leaving it as is.

Think about it.

This pefect life/hobby balance has existed for decades to allow us men to go to the garage/shed/dump to work on our passion (read: escapism) while the woman in the relationship does her on thing. Its balance. The Ying and the Yang.

Every now and then, we let it slip and start talking about the 350cfm and the missing choke on it....and every now and then the woman will talk about the attractive parts of vin diesel, or force you to watch australian idol - but you deal with it, because, its the way it is...and always will be.

The best you can hope for is someone that whilst may not know a lot about the going on's of your car, can appreciate the speed/size/beauty/etc and enjoys that you have a constructive hobby..

Last edited by blueraven; 08-25-2004 at 21:07. Reason: Due to Neeek's very true post...
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 21:14   #9 (permalink)
Proudly Average

In no way am I advocating trying to mix the relationship with the hobby - that could have all sorts of horrible consequences, like having to go to antiques fairs or Ricky Martin concerts.

All I want is greater tolerance... and a performance car girlfriend.
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 21:22   #10 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven
Neeek has a really good point above....
I just want to experiment with kittens, that's all...
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub