Word of warning; Army Reserves (LONG) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2004, 03:12   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Word of warning; Army Reserves (LONG)

Well, here's a bit of a story.

About 3 years ago, I first walked into the army recruiting office. I went in with a mate from cadets, we were both set on full time infantry. Walked away from my apptitude test with the highest possible mark. I was told I could do anything. Didn't have year 12 so no officer. Nothing else really apealed to me, so I stuck with infantry, despite the fact I was well over the intelligence quota for infantry.

Next hurdle; I wasn't medically up to it. Bit of an out back and my hearing was a tad funny. Got my hearing fixed, waited around a few months doing exercise to fix my back up. March of last year I got the medical all clear. I get put on the full time infantry waiting list.

My mate, who I walked into the recruiting office on the same day and sat all the tests at the same time, FINALLY got off to basic training in July last year. He'd had his file bumped up the list by a friend. I thought, bugger this, I'm not waiting another 2 years, I'll go reserves for a while.

Well no sooner had I said that, I was on the bus to Kapooka for basic. Hmmmm that seems alright! I'd have to do my infantry training part time, but I could put my full time application in and do reserves until they let me in.

Whilst at Kapooka I changed my mind. Full time wasn't for me just yet. I was 17 for all but a week of Kapooka, there's no way I'm ready to just up from family and friends and get moved interstate. No way, maybe in a few years.

Got out of Kapooka October last year. I was told 6 months and I'd be fully qualified. I'd have to go on 2 2 week courses and all the weekends in that 6 months, but I'd get there by April. Sweet I thought.

Oh how wrong I was. We were told of a course in February. The first of the 2. Come late November that had been canceled, the next one was in June.

Broke up for 6 weeks over christmas. No chance of any weekend then (I actually hadn't even been on one yet). Get back in the last week of January to be told the June course has too been canceled. No idea on when the next one it.

It's been 5 months now and I have got NO WHERE. Not a single weekend. Our one night a week usually consisted of watching the qualified guys do their stuff. Every so often we'd go for a run. A few times we had crash courses in stuff we'd already learnt at Kapooka.

I'm fed up with it. Last week I call it quits. Call the depot up, put in a request for discharge. No way is this going anywhere. There's a guy at the unit who got out of Kapooka over 12 months ago and still has to go away for one of the courses.

So today I handed back all my gear (minus my ID card, meaning I can still get into most military bases in the country. Makes me feel safe with the latest attacks in Spain). I'm a civi again.

Where now? I just wasted 2 years of my life on a dream I had for years. A dream fueled by my patriotism (the Aussie flag on the wall remains and shall do), my grand fathers (both served during WW2, one giving his life) and 4 years of Army Cadets I had a ball with and NEVER missed a parade night or weekend.

My resume has a 2 year period of nothing but the one casual job. It looks so crap it's not funny. I'm applying for a TAFE pre-apprenticeship course now, if I don't get it I'm really stuffed. To say I'm annoyed is an understatment.

It probably looks like I dug this hole myself. To an extent, maybe. But the number of broken promises I've had from ADF recruiting (civis BTW) is amazing.

Ok I've dragged this on long enough.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004, 04:32   #2 (permalink)
{';'}

Re: Word of warning; Army Reserves (LONG)

Mate, bad luck. It sounds like a long and tiresome trip. Hopefully things will pick up for you again anyway "Chin up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:51   #3 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

my mum's friends son is in almoast the same situation, it had always been his dream to get into the army, he lost over 30kg's, he got fit, he did everything he was supposed to do and was cleared by medical to start his training. they even had a huge party for him (my uncle has a band and was in the army so they got him as entertainment, they had a ball, camo gear, the room was decorated in camo and parachutes on the cealing etc etc) when he got to pukkapunyal (sp??) and they did annother medical and told him he had a form of asthma that he didnt even know existed. he went to his doctor (back here in brissie) but his doctor didnt even know what it was, he was discharged due to medical reasons, needless to say he's majoyly pi$$ed of at the defence force and now wishes he hadnt wasted his time, he says the only good thing to come from it is the loss of 30kg's and getting fit, other than that he has no qualifications for his time (around 6months total).

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:10   #4 (permalink)
Ghiad Up

Old saying in the army, hurry up and wait, you found that out first hand, being in the forces nearly 20 yrs ago nothing has changed i see, hopelessly unorganised as its always been, how they conduct warfare is beyond me, maybe the senior NCOs do it, officers are not good for much except polishing chair seats.
Old 03-17-2004, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yeah I knew the military was disorganised before I got in but this was so much more than I expected.

Just a side note; While I'm out now, the day someone lands on our nothern shores and starts shooting, I'll be the first one in at the recruitment office.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 16:24   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I would suggest mabey also doing your year 12 as well at Tafe, you may be able to do it in a year, at least that will be a worthwile acheivement.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 16:31   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Pm me we need to talk brother. It a shame the army has shafted you like this but the forces are can be wierd. I spent 2 years in Butterworth for no apparent reason well atleast they paid me. The hot humid weather and the locals drove me nuts.
Ramrod429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 19:16   #8 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I deal with the defence forces and I have to say their management application is less than superb. Did you ask to escalate the requests for training? I cannot believe that no one is getting trained for that period of time.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 20:46   #9 (permalink)
CarNooB

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
Just a side note; While I'm out now, the day someone lands on our nothern shores and starts shooting, I'll be the first one in at the recruitment office.
Why?
Old 03-18-2004, 00:27   #10 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delglath
Why?
Why not? I know quite a few people who would do the same thing.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub