worst trip ever - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2003, 18:18   #1 (permalink)
Dc_todd

Thumbs down worst trip ever

ok time for a whinge..
on the weekend I hired a car trailer, I had to tow a Jag XJS to winton from Sydney, for a supersprint round, this trailer was a POS. the draw bar was buckled, the bearings were shot there was a nail in one tyre, I was towing behind a 97 supercharged statesman, borrowed ofcourse, this trailer wandered allover the road at 95 kay or higher, it was a slow trip, I was almost going to drive the car down when the trailer hire cost me $180 for 3 days, It would have been a little cheaper to DRIVE the V12 to winton from Sydney.
however good thing I didn't along the back straight at winton the bottow end let go, it sounded like window was down, it was an air rushing noise, so I backed off, the car kept running but I had lost oil pressure, I parked it on the side of the track, still going, then drove it to the pits, it was starting to sound like a holden 5.7, the top of a piston must have broken off and was smaking the underside of the head. Now that is piston SLAP my friends.
the next parking spot was on that possesed trailer. mind you it wasn't the worst V12 let go of the weekend, an E-type blew a rod OUT the side of the block.
back to my tale of woe.
between Winton and Wangaratta where we were staying, the wheel bearings on one of the wheels collapsed, now being the carefree person I am and the weekend I was having I started laughing and said stuff it, what more could go wrong.
what more could go wrong?
I'm now dragging a trailer with effectivly 3 wheels, its sliding around, and the realisation I have to take this thing back to sydney is becoming quite dawnting.
I make it back to wangaratta, decide for my own saftey that the cases need to be packed, so off comes the wheel, mind you I'm doing this in front of a hotel, with about 20 club members offering advise, and I'm sitting there stuffing the bearings with anything I can find.

the trailer didn't tow too badly after that, still couldn't go above 100 km/h though, so long trip back to sydney.
dropped the car off at londonderry, and then only had the trailer behind the car, bouncing it over the roundabouts, sliding it through corners. basicly taking out some agression on the trailer. got it back to ermington where it was hired from at a servo that shuts at 10 pm, arrived at 9.45, and everything is shut. got out of the car and just started laughting somewhere between londonderry and ermington the bearing had again collapsed, so badly it had spun the entire hub off the axle!
then the servo guy who was finishing locking up showed himself and tried to tell me I would have to pay another day rental because he was cloased and to bring it back tomorrow, told him the time, and he aggreed it was before 10 but would not open up again. so we simply grabbed the trailer, walked over to his exel that had a towbar and dropped it on his car, and padlocked it in place. the poor bloke was almost in tears, realising he was had, he had to reopen get the keys, we demanded our deposit back as we had been given dodgy items. again he refused so we started walking off with the padlock keys, we got in the car to start driving, so he came over and threw the money at us, so we made him pick it up appologise and give it to us. we also got his name and managers phone number. we then undid the padlock laft everything else got in the statesman and drove off. a rather fitting end to the weekend. if anyone finds a tyre between londonderry and ermington, drop it on the bonnet of the smartarse who has the green exel at ermington cheap fuel on victoria rd..

what a weekend.
we now have our work cut out rebuilding or possibly replacing a V12.
so if anyone wants to donate money to a fun and worthwhile cause.. pm me.

cheers
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2003, 18:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: worst trip ever

Sounds like a fun and interesting trip, Im sure the final servo guy inceident made up for the shitehouse trailer. Good luck with the rebuild.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 18:55   #3 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Good story - sorry , but I couldn't help laughing - especially at the way you treated the servo guy.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 19:08   #4 (permalink)

Isn't this the story of all old Jag owners, a real tale of woe. Very funny mind you and I like your sense of humour and WTF!!!
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 19:14   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

ha sucked in that servo wanker got
Old 08-18-2003, 19:17   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Hehehe that was a nice read. Almost feel sorry for you

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 19:39   #7 (permalink)
Dc_todd

I think I may have jinxed myself from the word go with this trip.
I was towing with a STATESMAN.
ahh well the old XJS motor had about 250000 kays on it. never had the heads off, never opened it, just a few performance mods, all externnal stuff, there is alot you can do to the old V12 to get them moving. I can get another standard motor for about $1000, then decide if its gonna be a weapon motor or just get bulid the same spec. the old addage if it aint broke don't fix it, left out the clause unless its a jag, then its a work in progress..

Hmmm
Dave
Old 08-18-2003, 19:43   #8 (permalink)
Dc_todd

I will personally send an email of symapthy and congradulations to anyone who can post a story of a trip similar or worse.
Old 08-18-2003, 21:27   #9 (permalink)

This post goes into the running for most misleading title of the year.

I thought you were going to regale us all with a drug related mishap.

MY BAD
subsbligh35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 22:08   #10 (permalink)