WRC 2001 for PS2: My review - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2001, 09:38   #1 (permalink)
Ford Focus WRC Driver.

WRC 2001 for PS2: My review

Just a few words about WRC 2001 (if anyone's interested but I thought I'd post regardless....)

If you've played Colin McRae 2, the handling is a little inferior. It took a little getting used to but I was able to get a grip on it totally after about 10 minutes or so.

The game is far too easy. I've was World Champion on 1st try of normal level winning all rallies except one (ie. Rally of GB...but let's not go there!!!) in my Ford Focus. Colin McRae's actual name isn't in the game.......he's just listed as "Ford Driver" because he's got his own rally game coming out so licensing was a bit of a problem. Other than him, all drivers and co-drivers are in the game. All navigation is read by Robert Reid by the sounds of it (Richard Burns' co-driver).

The damage model is nowhere near realistic. I went too fast into a corner in Sweden (snow rally) and hit the left wheel into the barrier in 4th gear and.....no damage. In the rally of GB, I hit a tree front on in 3rd gear and.....no damage (only cosmetic damage..one of the headlights fell off). In real life, these would have caused certain retirements!

The wheels used in rallies aren't necessarily the wheels used by the teams in real life. Eg. the Impreza has a 5 spoke wheel in tarmac rallies whereas this is not the case in real life.

The game is true to life but too short. Only 5 or so rounds per rally isn't enough for me!!

HOWEVER......

The graphics and sound is absolutely terrific. Just think of GT3 for rally!! The engine sounds are vehicle specific (that is, a Focus sounds like a Focus and a Evo sounds like an Evo in the game) and I can't get enough of the flaming exhausts!!

The way the cars behave is spot on. The way is reacts to bumps in the road and cutting corners....it's almost as if you're watching the cars in real life. The replay mode is also of high value!!

Overall, I'd give it 8 out of 10. In-game menus could have been better and tuning/damage repair department are a no-show!
But graphically and audiably close to perfect!!
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2001, 02:45   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a good game but not a great game. I enjoyed reading your review. good job!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub