XBox slays Gamecube - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 05:31   #1 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

XBox slays Gamecube

Just as I predicted (search old threads) the Xbox has slayed the Gamecube. Nintendo has halted production 'to clear warehouse stocks' but it's obvious the console is failing in what experts considered a two horse race.

First Playstation slays Saturn, now XBox slays Gamecube. Exit Sega/Nintendo, hello Sony/Microsoft.

Nintendo aren't dead, the Gameboy Advance is easily the best selling handheld ever, and I'd read months ago they'd concentrate on other things besides the console market.

Just do a google search for nintendo gamecube production.
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 06:50   #2 (permalink)
EFing Quick!

Re: XBox slays Gamecube

For those who can't Google:

Gloomy outlook for game console sales
Last modified: September 3, 2003, 3:19 PM PDT
By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Sales of video game consoles are expected to slump until a new crop of machines is introduced in a few years, according to an industry analyst.

In an article published earlier this week, Jay Srivatsa, a senior analyst for research firm iSuppli, said console sales have slowed significantly this year, in contrast with the steady growth that has marked the industry until now. He expects sales to be flat for the year and down as much as 10 percent in 2005, when the major console makers start laying the foundation for a new generation of consoles.

"I would say it's a reflection of the economy as well as the fact there's no big excitement in the industry now," Srivatsa said in an interview. "The only thing to speak of in the industry now is online gaming, but that doesn't do much for console sales...The whole game console market is really in the doldrums now."

Sony has said it expects to sell 20 million units of its PlayStation 2 console during its current fiscal year, down from 22.5 million in the previous fiscal year. Microsoft expects to sell between 5.5 million and 7 million units of its Xbox console during its current fiscal year.

Nintendo faces the biggest risk, Srivatsa said. The company has temporarily halted production of its GameCube console to eat up excess inventory and managed to ship a scant 80,000 units during its most recent quarter. "If they don't do anything significant, Nintendo won't sell any consoles next year," he said.

Srivatsa said he expects another round of price cuts before the end of the year, with Xbox and PS2 dropping to $150 and the GameCube somewhere below that.

Beyond that, pressure will build to get the next generation of consoles on the market more quickly. Nintendo has said it plans to have the successor to the GameCube ready before its competitors make a move, but none of the players will find it easy to speed up development cycles.

"I don't think (that), when the companies developed this generation of console, they were prepared for it to be so short," Srivatsa said.
1995 EF Futura - Crow stage 2 cam & adjustable gear, K&N cold air intake, AU XR intake snorkel, Advance stainless steel extractors, hi-flow cat converter, 2.5" pipe, 17" ROH RT shadow chrome mags, Pedders sports ryder suspension, DBA gold cross drilled/slotted rotors, lowered 1.5", camber kit, engine + starter immobiliser and microwave sensor security system.

Teh funnay is now linked here!
Beefchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:54   #3 (permalink)
cArSiK

The big reason camecube lost out IMHO is because all its competitors (ps2 , Xbox) have the ability to play DVD;s and it just dont...however the new gameboy SP is a top seller....
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:56   #4 (permalink)
EFing Quick!

Not that I care about console gaming anymore, but apart from the "80,000 Nintendo consoles sold in the last quarter" fact, the rest is opinion by an analyst. And ALL companies expect slower sales, not just the big N.

Microsoft may be selling alot of consoles, but it doesn't mean they're making a profit (old article):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2480001.stm

Oh, and the Xbox continues to suck in Japan and probably Europe:
http://www.in5ane.com/display/8

And last but not least the man Maddox thinks the Xbox sucks so it does. Game Over!
http://maddox.xmission.com/xbox_suckit.html
1995 EF Futura - Crow stage 2 cam & adjustable gear, K&N cold air intake, AU XR intake snorkel, Advance stainless steel extractors, hi-flow cat converter, 2.5" pipe, 17" ROH RT shadow chrome mags, Pedders sports ryder suspension, DBA gold cross drilled/slotted rotors, lowered 1.5", camber kit, engine + starter immobiliser and microwave sensor security system.

Teh funnay is now linked here!

Last edited by Beefchief; 09-19-2003 at 06:59.
Beefchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:15   #5 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Look at the markets for these machines: Xbox and PS2 were always pitted among old teens/young adults.

The gamecube was designed for 7 yr olds, and featured a lot more arcade type games. Problem with 7yr olds is they want to be like their 18yr old brother. As for the mini-disc, you would have thought they learnt when it was cartridge vs cd with n64 v PSOne
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:15   #6 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

:( I love my game cube. There are heaps of good games on GC. Zelda, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Super Smash Brothers, Final Fantasy (coming soon) just to name a few. PS2 and XBOX sell a shit load becuase of all the shitty 3rd party games out there and the ability to chip. I think the GC is an awesome console with great RPG's, which is something xbox and ps2 is lacking, which is why id never buy one. It would be a shame if Nintendo went under becuase IMO they are the best console/game producer.
Old 09-19-2003, 19:23   #7 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNicko
:( I love my game cube. There are heaps of good games on GC. Zelda, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Mario Kart, Resident Evil, Super Smash Brothers, Final Fantasy (coming soon) just to name a few. PS2 and XBOX sell a shit load becuase of all the shitty 3rd party games out there and the ability to chip. I think the GC is an awesome console with great RPG's, which is something xbox and ps2 is lacking, which is why id never buy one. It would be a shame if Nintendo went under becuase IMO they are the best console/game producer.
Listen to yourself!! Mario Kart???? Super Smash brothers?

Yes there are heaps of good games on GCN, but you can count them all on one hand! On the other hand (no pun intended) you have the Xbox and PS2 with games galore, and tens and tens (i ain't gunna say hudreds ) of great games, NOT limited by tiny disk capacity, nor clumsy, tiny fischer price controllers. The game cube is fine. For an eight year old, where it is pitched. But in no way is it the best console/game producer. Xbox is by far the best console, and PS2 and xbox have a split in the best games. No wonder they're selling GCNs for <$200

Oh and on the RPG point, Morrowing doesn't ring any bells does it?
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
walking power

I not much into game consoles but i do have a ps2 and if im not mistaken i was watching one of those shows that review consoles and games and im sure they said Nintendo was working on a similar console to go up against the PS3 and XBOX, but obviously not for a couple more years.

Although i could be wrong?
Old 09-19-2003, 20:49   #9 (permalink)
Team Galaxy Try Hard

Playstation has a huge following because of the first playstation and the backward compatability with the games. Xbox has a huge following because of all the PC fanboys. And really, thats all it is. A PC. Its got a harddrive and processor similiar to the one in your computer, a powersupply with ATX connectors, ribbon cables, a modem and network card and motherboard. You open it up and it looks exactly the same as your home PC. I think because of that, and the mod chips that are available for it, its popular. Xbox might have alot of console sales (which microsoft are actually loosing money on), but the amount of people that buy games is a much smaller number. At the moment, My PC is faster then an xbox, the graphics are better, the controls are better (ever tried playing a FPS with a joystick or gamepad, instead of a mouse and your keyboard). And if I really wanted, I can connect my PC to my TV in the lounge room and play games sitting on the couch.

I think the Gamecubes major fall down is its "Percieved" target audience, its lack of features (no DVD), and the fact that it can't be hacked by pirates (effectively anyway). No mod chips, other then being able to play games from different regions.
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 05:37   #10 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

XBOX rules (well xbox' with a 120gb hard drive and chip "Rule")
Yes my Pc is faster than my xbox by heaps and has better graphics but my xbox doesn't crash ever. plays games with no installation, load quicker and the xbox with the remote, 3 games, 120gb hard drive cost me all up $500. Like to see a pc do what my xbox can for $500.
Also the Xbox plays playstation 1 games if you know how ;-)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub