XC Coupe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2002, 17:49   #1 (permalink)
proffesional stupid head

confused XC Coupe

Hello

Im now the proud owner of a half assembled Falcon XC coupe (or will be as of 5:30 this arvo)

that im going to restore and 'fullysickorise' it

(that does not include 10 foot wings or 24" wheels and exhausts, but you get the drift.... maybe?)

Anyway

I was wondering what info any of you have on the 1977 XC Fairmont Coupe...

This is a 302, i was also wondering if the engine came out with 4v heads ? or just standard ones

Any information on the car in general will be greatly appreciated

As its hard to find information on the internet :(

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2002, 17:54   #2 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hey,

congrads on the purchase... I'm jealous!!
Old 01-31-2002, 18:18   #3 (permalink)

Nice car, I haven't seen XC Fairmont coupe around for a long time. What's the condition like? Being half assembled I assume someone has had a bit of a go at it.
white vct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 18:18   #4 (permalink)

4V heads

302C never had 4V heads, only GT Falcons with 351s had 'em. You don't want them anyway, Open Chamber 2V with 4V valves are the go. 302 will have Closed Chamber which makes the compression too high for pump petrol (will run but will ping and run on etc).

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 18:38   #5 (permalink)
gone

Try contacting Discovery, Felicity, at the FORD DISCOVERY CENTRE in Geelong, they have an archive room where some information is held.

I am sure she would be, or whoever answers the phone, would be more than glad to help!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 19:28   #6 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

XC Fairmont Coupe.
Only 2 full production XC coupe models were produced. These being "Falcon 500 G.S." and "Fairmont". The "Cobra" was a limited production model that was based on the Falcon 500 G.S., unlike the previous G.T. which was based on the Fairmont trim package. The Fairmont included most of the G.S. goodies (except driving lights, it had square head lights and no quarter panel scoops on Fairmont). It also had extras that the Farimont sedan didn't have like 14" Volante alloy wheels and sports dash. It also had the sports bonnet which included hood scoops but no external locking pins.

All V8s in XC had small port (2V) heads. The difference being chamber size.

I hope this helps.
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Australian Member

gearb0x, you have chosen wisely!!!!

I have had my XC GS Sedan since 1988 and in that time have removed nearly every bit of it for some reason or another. If you want any tech info just ask, I also have original factory workshop and owner's manuals.

I remember reading somewhere that a few XC 302s came with big port 4V heads but it could just be another Ford urban myth. It is likely you just have the small port 2V heads.

What other specs does your car have g/box, paint, trim, a/c, other options??? The only thing fairly rare on mine is a factory long range fuel tank (125 litres). It only gets filled once a month but I get a lot of comments when I do.

Even had one guy ask why I didn't get a smaller tank so it would be cheaper to run! The small amount of extra fuel I carry around on average is more than offset by being able to buy petrol when it is cheapest.
XC_GS_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 22:22   #8 (permalink)
GTHO4

Congrats on your purchase. :s5
302's never had 4V heads but some came out with 4 barrel manifolds and Ford called it 302 4V hence the confusion.
A good idea when and if you rebuild your engine is keep the 302 heads and rods and put a 351 crank in it.
There are hypereutectic pistons made to suit this combo from ACL.
Old 01-31-2002, 22:58   #9 (permalink)
[V8]Ford Power

it is easy to tell most 4v heads.... they have a 4 on each corner at top. Mine do :) and as for 4v heads being too big you get the ports filled across the bottom by someone who knows what they are doing and they will hammer what you will get from 2v heads.
As for the pinging... i would rather have my heads have hardened inserts and good valves so i can run optimax than decompress and lose the power potential. Also, NEVER put champion plugs in your cleveland. You want to hear PING give them a go. GTHO 4 has the right idea with the 302 rod/351 crank combo though. My mate bdave351 runs half optimax, hlaf hlaf lead (!!!) and he reckons it runs much better. Truth be known all cleveland heads are very durable and with good valves you can get away with unleaded, premium being the go of course, without much fuss. A good time to do all that would obviously be if you swapped the crank. Go off... strooooke it :)
Old 02-01-2002, 01:23   #10 (permalink)
proffesional stupid head

Quote:
Originally posted by gtho4
302's never had 4V heads but some came out with 4 barrel manifolds and Ford called it 302 4V hence the confusion.
That would explain what the site i was looking at says

anyway i just picked the car up

its gonna be a long haul

but i wanna get it done right

Btw its 302, C10, smaller LSD (not 9") disk brake rear, Fairmont Coupe factory sunroof

Trims suposed to be black but i gott get hold of it

Dash is all in good nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub