XE ESP 351 a slug?? Isthis what killed the V8 program? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2001, 00:52   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

XE ESP 351 a slug?? Isthis what killed the V8 program?

For some reason I just checked the power figures on the XE 351 esp.

4.9 Litre Cleveland V8 5.8 Litre Cleveland V8
Capacity 4.943 Litres 5.800 Litres
Power Output 140kW @ 4500 RPM 149 kW @ 4300 RPM (4.9/5.8)
Torque Output 344 Nm @ 3200 RPM 415 Nm @ 3000 RPM (4.9/5.8)
Compression Ratio 9.2:1 8.9:1

Torque looks okay but I guess they can olny bugger up a motor so far. Its no wonder Ford dropped the V8 after crappy figures like this. The sixes of the day couldn't have been too far behind.

Is this the sort of thing that killed the V8 at Ford?

Anyone care to give us a history lesson?
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2001, 01:06   #2 (permalink)
GTHO4

The power of the engines did not kill the V8's
Ford believed that since the 6 cylinder EFI power at the time was not far from the V8's plus the costs of fuel they didn't need them.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:11   #3 (permalink)
GTHO4

BTW anyone who owns a V8 XE ESP Slugger I would be more than happy to take it off their hands. :s6:
Old 12-17-2001, 01:30   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtho4
The power of the engines did not kill the V8's
Ford believed that since the 6 cylinder EFI power at the time was not far from the V8's plus the costs of fuel they didn't need them.
Well then I guess I was fairly right then - I was going to add that the 4.1 six would have been pretty close in terms of power.

If the V8's weren't so mild then maybe we would have been in a much better postion now.
TheBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 01:59   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

the XD and XE series lost a lot of weight... while the power was down the actual performance was up on the XC ... the XD 5.8 ran a 15.8 or so ...XE was same weight... they found some use for all the plastic!!!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 02:54   #6 (permalink)
GTHO4

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBow

If the V8's weren't so mild then maybe we would have been in a much better postion now.
The mildness was caused by more stricter pollution laws which really choked up the Cleveland.
Its a shame that Ford Australia chose the Windsor for a V8 comeback I wonder if anyone from Ford can can explain why.

I thought maybe the Cleveland would have been a better choice since Australia had the machines ( whatever they're called ) to produce them 9 years after the yanks stop making them.
Mmmm.... an EFI Cleveland wouldn't that be nice.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:58   #7 (permalink)
GTHO4

Quote:
Originally posted by XA coupe
the XD and XE series lost a lot of weight... while the power was down the actual performance was up on the XC ... the XD 5.8 ran a 15.8 or so ...XE was same weight... they found some use for all the plastic!!!
And you know what?
Since the introduction of the XD i'm pretty sure it was someone from Ford who said that the introduction of plastic components on cars would make big savings for us consumers.

I'm still waiting!!
Old 12-17-2001, 03:11   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtho4

I thought maybe the Cleveland would have been a better choice since Australia had the machines ( whatever they're called ) to produce them 9 years after the yanks stop making them.
Mmmm.... an EFI Cleveland wouldn't that be nice.
because the last of the machinery for making clevelands was sold off ages ago whereas they are still casting windsor blocks... even in cleveland ohio!!
EFI cleveland would have been heaps better but thems the breaks.

I remember all the BS about plastics saving $$.... bah... now they cant fix things.. they have to replace it instead!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 03:31   #9 (permalink)
goooone

I've got an XD with a 351 & the cops sent me to the EPA for noise tests who then sent me to the RTA for emmissions testa & I can tell you I've been struggling hard to get the bastards to pass it & still haven't got it to yet. Ford probably had the same problems way back then & had to choke the once mighty clevo just to get it on th road . I've heard that is what really killed the V8 for ford cause they figured it would cost to much to develope a new cleaner engine & it took them almost ten years to relise that this desion had cost them more then they eexpected through the loss ofr brand image.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 04:15   #10 (permalink)

Im sure ive read somewhere that the XD and XE 351s made 190Kw/500Nm in Police Inteceptor spec(no pollution gear?)

It was the same for Holden though, they spent alot of time trying to get the V8 to pass emissions in the VL, and in the end it made less power and torque than an EFI XF.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub