Xe Falcons ????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 21:28   #1 (permalink)

Question Xe Falcons ?????

Hi - I've just bought an old 1983 Falcon XE Wagon (S Pack).

Though I would join this forum to see what nuggetts of advice people might have. Before anyone says "don't buy an old XE", it was virtually free ok!

Is there a section on this forum for the good old XD - XE - XF series?

Please point me in the right direction..............
bennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but there is not specific section for the X series Fords.
If you have any questions, just ask.
A more relevant section might be the Garage, depending on what your question refers to.
Some good advice regarding the old rockets:

1. If it's got little or no rust, then you've got a pearler!!! Rust is the number one killer of these cars, mechanically they will last a million years.

2. Contrary to popular opinion, the door handles DO work, but need their fair share of maintenance. Door hinges need adjustment on the odd occaision, and the most important bit.
USE THEM PROPERLY AND THEY WON'T BREAK!!!
People try to rip the whole door open, and they will just die.
Lift the handle, the door latch will release, and you can open the door. Simple really!!

3. Only real mechanical drama's will be in the front end, mainly with ball joints, tie rod ends, and the pitman and idler arms..
All suffer wear and tear, but by purchasing better than average items, you won't have to touch the front end again for 100,000 klms..

I have other bits of info to offer, just ask!!

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 22:19   #3 (permalink)

We don't have an X-Series specific section on FF as XR8ED mentioned.

There is however an X-Series club. See the below webpage. What state are you in?
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:17   #4 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Hey bennyh.........

XE wagons are cool...... I had one

As pearly says ....what state are you in .....it could be my old baby...... I sold her when I got my Sprint ....alas I'm back in a XF wagon ....... Go the wagons ........

XR8ED is right ........you cant kill these wagons mechanically......
My XF has done over 400,000k's & still going strong ........just shame she has a little rust & well lets not go into the front end

All I say is she aint pretty but she gets me anywhere I want to go.....even Victoria last year .........

Enjoy your stay here in the Forums & any question just ask.......

Remember the only stupid question is the one not asked .....LOL thats my motto :)

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:43   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8ED

2. Contrary to popular opinion, the door handles DO work, but need their fair share of maintenance. Door hinges need adjustment on the odd occaision, and the most important bit.
USE THEM PROPERLY AND THEY WON'T BREAK!!!
People try to rip the whole door open, and they will just die.
Lift the handle, the door latch will release, and you can open the door. Simple really!!

3. Only real mechanical drama's will be in the front end, mainly with ball joints, tie rod ends, and the pitman and idler arms..
All suffer wear and tear, but by purchasing better than average items, you won't have to touch the front end again for 100,000 klms..
phew, i thought mine was the only one :s6: :s6: :s6:

i think i've lost count count of how many handles i've changed on mine. every person that rides in my XF gets the urge to absolutely slam the door closed (or rip the handle off opening it). no respect at all. and then they complain when the door doesn't work....but i get my revenge, they don't seem to like it when i do it on their late model cars :s5 :s5

i've basically replaced the front end on mine :s6: , 6 months ago i bought a new idler arm coz there was too much play on the front end, it fixed it, but now it's come back with a vengence!! (i know, i know, i should be buying ford parts, and thats what i'll do, as i just bought new tyres)

sure the cars got it's probs, but it's a workhorse, and always gets me from A to B...and thats enough for me.
XFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 13:56   #6 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Door handles. The problem is not in the handle, it is on the locking part.

It gets jammed up with dust and crap over the years and becomes tight. The weakest part in the system is then the door handle, and the cheap casting breaks.

Spray WD40 on the locking part and you will never have problems.

I have had X series cars most of my life, and never have doot handle problems.

And door closing!!! Why do people think that the door has to be slammed? It is commonly heard in my car, "Don't slam the fuking door!!!"

Try slamming their house door as well. Hahaha
Old 02-05-2003, 17:28   #7 (permalink)

as ken said keep your latch lubed. that mean pulling off the door trim and spraying the latch dont just spry the striker on the outside of the door.

ive never had a door handle problem and ive had xe/xfs for 7 years
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

the mighty XE

I think i am at a stage where i can fix the door handles of and XE with my eyes closed.

My father owns a stock as a rock original Falcon XE manual. And when i say original i mean straight out of the showroom original. Apart for the really faded original ford blue and a few minor dints and scratches the car is very straight and rust free, the only time when this car gets parts replaced are when they are totaly broken (like the door handles).

They really are a great classic ford! (gotta love the no power steering)

cheers
nutz000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 22:42   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Guys, to save yourself the continious hassle of spraying the good ole dubya dee in, get some light grease and slap it all around the internal mechanisms, last for a good deal longer.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 03:12   #10 (permalink)

Ive now owned 2 X series cars, an XD and currently an XF, and not had any trouble with the doors. However, it IS true that people just can't help slamming the doors on these cars!
Pete84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub