XR6/EF Strider Comparo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2002, 17:47   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Lightbulb XR6/EF Strider Comparo

Well i'm sensing a few of you are probably getting abit sick of AU2 Xr6 stuff, but a few of you had requested a detailed assessment of the two cars i've owned. So here goes,

Taking the Singleton cruise i went on, i'm very very happy with the way she went. Taking it quite aggressively around the twisties at both sharp and sweepers i was amazed how much grip the liveaxles have. It's truley amazing. I'd reccomend even forte owners to get the after market Tickford Suspension upgrade for $800. Truust me it's bloody good and only second to the Falcon IRS system.
It seems when taking the corners i was the one that backed off first as opposed to the car loosing grip.

The one thing i've noticed too is the progressive limit of adhesion of the live axle as opposed to the 100% grip and then sudden lose of grip on IRS systems.
I found the seats to be perfect during the long hauls too. Where as i found the stock falcons to be alittle flat the Xr6 ones had lots of under thigh support (good for a 6 foot person) and really hold you in the seat.

A few minor negative points i found, on rough roads the live axle + 17's is indeed jiggly, there were 3 places in the dash/window that have NVH problems. Just under the steering column theres a plastic rattle and under the ash tray seems theres a wire or something thats making noise. Both of these i know i can rectify using abit of "Strider Engineering(tm)" using foam etc.
The other thats abit more annoying is the window chatter and i've noticed other AU owners complaining about this. As soon as the road gets abit course the window starts to chatter.
Anyone successfully eliminated that noise? If so i'd like to know how.

In the engine and gearbox department i noted theres definitly more diff/gearbox noise in the XR6 that the EF. EF was perfect, no noise clunks and can hold the gear in 3rd below 30km/h without depressing the clutch. In the XR6 it starts to jolt.
But since thats a characteristic of what appears to be the alloy tailshaft i'm not too bothered about it, though be nice if ford released an official fix for it. Uncle Geoff/Happy Jack can you help out. IF ford made a fix to make the Xr6 feel like the EF in it's driveline i'll be a over the moon.

About pickup mid and top end power the XR6 has it all over the EF Wagon, but suprisingly the on throttle pickup say in accelerating from 70km/h to 90km/h in 5th the EF feels stronger. But once in the revs the XR6 well and truley hauls. I think it's because of the EF's mod done that makes it more urgent in the bottom end department. Will have to get K&N for the XR6 ASAP and perhaps look at a custom induction mandrel pipe to the throttle body to open it up. And to top it off i'll look into a cat back exhuast for the future.
In terms of revs the EF was never really happy to go over 3500rpm, the XR6 revs cleanly to 5000rpm where it's max power is delivered. I noted ford increased the redline another 250 rpm due to it's smoothness. Seems now the revs can be really used compared to the E Series engines.

Ride height/looks is fantastic i wouldn't change a thing at all. Haven't scraped once yet. "Touch's Wood".

Theres my assessment of my XR6, sorry probably bored everyone to death about my writeup. So i'll stop now.
:crazy1: :s3

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2002, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

Hi Gary,

I have defeated many rattles in my AU2 by using Foam, rubber tape, and sound deadening mats...

Its now very quiet.. except for a few hard to find rattles.

The door chatter can be stopped (temporarily) with any lubricant. Ford use one particular type (Icannot remember the name).
This will last about a week, before the chatter comes back.

The other 2 ways to fix it are:
1) adjust the door striker to bring the door closer to the body. This makes the door harder to close, as opposed to the very easy-to-close AU door.

2)(messy but effective) buy some rubber tape or weather strip just wide enough to fit neatly between the two seals. Run it all the way around the top and side. If done neatly, it doesnt look out of place. This will stop the chatter for ages. I have used this method after all the others failed. Still no chatter 12 months later.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 18:47   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

My rear Dunlops don't have a lot of grip left, but the grip levels on those tight, sometimes damp/wet bends were still very good. I did get the rear out on one left-hand 35km/h corner I came too fast into (which was quite wet) but otherwise no dramas. I deliberately pushed hard out of a 45km/h corner to find where I was going to lose grip, and like you noticed, the resulting slide was gradual and predictable - much fun. Kudos to Tickford on that engineering effort!

The seemingly better/more expensive suspension setups aren't always the best - Graeme said a couple of times he would have preferred his XR8 on the Putty Rd run to the T3 TE50 which was too stiff for the kind of road we were on.

You did fall behind from the lead pack Gaz, some added aggression needed eh? :s3
Old 05-20-2002, 04:35   #4 (permalink)

Good to see you were up the front on a cruise for once Gary!!
Go the live axle AU's!! Wish I had mine yesterday.
The EF, well lets just say it was a very interesting cruise, the ass end had plenty to say and it was telling me it was not enjoying it at all!!!
hmmm looks like some new struts and shocks, springs and a 30mm sway bar coming up this week
Old 05-20-2002, 04:45   #5 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Simon, dunno who you normally go to for suspension, but Straight Talk Suspension in blacktown sorted my EA well at the time, and you won't get any bullshit.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:31   #6 (permalink)

I took my old EB to there when I had it, and yeah I went back there last week to get a price.
He recommended using KYB shocks and struts. He quoted $880 fitted with super low springs, but, however, there is a mail order company advertising in the Parts Peddler magazine, $440 for the same KYB's with 40mm lowered springs.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub