XR8 Cobra - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2003, 15:39   #1 (permalink)

XR8 Cobra

I have a AU1 XR8 Cobra. In NZ the cobra options varied and mine has 17" AU2 wheels, full kit with bi wing, Momo wheel and gear knob, big bore with SVO headers, cobra decals etc. It is black and 5 speed. My question is the suspension, I think it has a suspension kit fitted but not sure as it dosn't mention it on the Tickford tag in the engine bay and the other options do. I had a good look underneath and found that the coil springs are blue in colour and they have a paper tag on them that says "Sabre". I have never heard of sabre coil springs. Are they just standard springs or aftermarket? If aftermarket can anyone tell me the difference?
Thanks for any help.
XR8NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 16:11   #2 (permalink)
کhậ۴ţ

Any Idea what its making on the dyno?

shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 16:17   #3 (permalink)

No idea on the dyno, I am unsure of any engine mods.
I have been told approx 200kw. I know a std AU1 has 185kw but with the exhaust mods it should be around 200kw?
Old 01-27-2003, 23:57   #4 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member

Sabre is a NZ brand of suspension bits - similar to Selby in Aust. Can be found at Shock Shop Centres.

I was told by a dealer principle in the lower NI about how 'Cobra' was a Shelby trademark and Ford were told to desist using that name. The Cobra decals differ from the true Cobra insignia for this reason.

By the way, have you heard of the NZ Tickford Club? Check it out on www.tickfordclub.org.nz
Old 01-28-2003, 01:32   #5 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by AUII XR8
Sabre is a NZ brand of suspension bits - similar to Selby in Aust. Can be found at Shock Shop Centres.

I was told by a dealer principle in the lower NI about how 'Cobra' was a Shelby trademark and Ford were told to desist using that name. The Cobra decals differ from the true Cobra insignia for this reason.

I think it was along the lines of Carol Shelby passed on the use of the Cobra name to Ford (he wasn't building Shelby Cobra Stangs after 68) with the understanding Ford wouldn't continue with Cobra, Ford did with the '78 Cobra II, the Falcon Cobra and of course the various Fox based Mustang Cobras.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 14:17   #6 (permalink)

I also owned a NZ new "Cobra". I brought mine in Auckland.
From what I know, the Cobra marketing program was devised by FMC-NZ as a way to try to shift more XR's when the sales of AU1 were at an all time low. They factory fitted the cars with the then optional 17" AU1 Tickford alloys, the optional Tickford body kit (front bar lip, side skirts, rear bar lip) and added the Cobra decals. You got all of this optional 'stuff' for a reasonable discount over the normal buy price.

That was the extent of the factory program. What happened then (I think) is that several dealers jumped on the band wagon and added extra "tune-ups" to the cars before selling them, or possibly just as customer special orders. The factory never did things like SVO headers and big bore exhausts AFAIK. I had similar things done to my Cobra after I brought it. I'm willing to be proved wrong here - but I'd like to see a photo of the build plate that listed those things.

If I remember right the factory springs that came out of my Cobra were black plastic coated things. Completely standard AU1 XR8 items.

Cheers,
NZ XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 18:07   #7 (permalink)

thanks for all your help.
I will post photos tomorrow and some of my 69 428 cobra jet, R code.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub