An XR8 test drive - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2003, 07:24   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

An XR8 test drive

Well, driving past the ryde ford dealership, i decided to take the plunge and walk in and ask for a test drive of a brand spanking new blueprint XR8!

First thing i have to say is, OMG how many looks do you get! Every single person. I'm not kidding here.

Secondly, the car had the sweetest sounding engine i've heard for a quite a while, and its road manners were second to none.

But its weight was something that becomes very apparent as soon as you take the wheel. Don't get me wrong, the XR8 was a great ride, but you could definitely feel the xtra weight.

It all comes down to whether you MUST have a V8, or you'd rahter go the cheaper option in the XR6T (and arguably have the better performance, but not the V8 bragging rights and looks).

Either way you've got yourself a sweet ride hey? Personally, i've always been a Holden man, but i've found this forum very interesting.

I can confidently say that Ford has a very very very strong package in teh BA.. What has become clear to me most, however, is how the VY SS/clubsport still marginally holds the performance trophy.

As i said, very arguable. Hell, thats why we're on here, ay?

PS- the ford salesman was an absolute champ. Still haven't met a salesman who is unwilling to take a new hotrod for a ride. Gw boys/.
He|mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2003, 22:41   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for that. Have you tried the XR6-T for a comparo?
Old 03-22-2003, 23:20   #3 (permalink)
blink

Before going to morton friday I had about 8hrs to spare so I went to the ford dealership saw a xr8 rebel too !! Checked out the ba xr8 and its alot nicer then what the pictures show it to be the bonut boldge is sweet. I sort of prefered the vy ss over the xr8 for a little bit but once going to see the SS then going to see the XR the xr certainly looks a hell of alot better in every single (though i havent driven it)
Old 03-23-2003, 01:05   #4 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Helmut, you might be right with the VY HSV, but not the VY SS. The XR8 is the better of the SS by a small margin on the strip, and by a good margin when you turn.

Go pick yourself up a march 03 issue of Wheels and see what they have to say.

The comparo actually ends recommending the XR8 over the HSV, but that's not for it's performance. It's for the 'Whole Package'. However, after reading one of your other threads, I can see that nothing but performance interests you. Which is fair enough.

If you want to compare apples to apples, what's your opinion of the GT vs the Clubsport?

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 03:28   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I don't know guys how can you feel the XR8 is HEAVY! I can only feel the car is heavy when it's slow, I felt the celica is very very heavy cause it just didn't want to move when I pushed hard( a 97 celica that is).

I tested the Turbo XR6 against the XR8 in the same day about three times now, and no offence but the XR8 is MUCH FASTER, specially off the line, if not even faster after 4000 rpm when the engine just starts to fly. Go to fordxr6turbo.com forum you'll find so many people got frustrated by the low down torque of the IL6 before the turbo kicks in at 2000-2500 rpm. The slow start is also there even if you gave it a revvy start, still the engine goes back to below 2000 range and the car is never as fast as the big V8 lovely engine.

Sorry, but I just don't understand how do you fellas feel the heaviness of that car, it was so smooth and sticky to the ground in any move I tried. And the acceleration was awsome. The salesman said it will be even faster when it loosen up, the IL6 in comparison doesn't loosen up that much.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub