Your sporting ability - sport by sport - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2004, 19:23   #1 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Your sporting ability - sport by sport

Time to blow your own trumpet...can you play sport?

I'll go first:

Tennis - average, I can beat people, but it is usually by relying on them making mistakes, or me hitting it deep into their court with them being too crap to hit it back. I can't serve, but I am pretty agile around a court. Can't hit topspin.

Table Tennis - Not so good, like tennis I haven't really mastered top spin so I generally lob it back. Would get murdered by a half-decent player.

Soccer - Never played for a team, played occassionally at school. I can't kick off my in-step with any power, so I use my toes :D I'm not too accurate at kicking either, hence the reason I stayed in the back line...where I can tackle quite well.

Basketball - I'm 165cm short...I can't play basketball. I have really good court coverage, but have never learnt the rules and can't shoot.

Rugby - Again never really played. Played once or twice at school, mostly it was touch rugby though. Know the rules, but can't pass.

Running - Ha. I can't run for crap. Unless it is in short bursts I am very slow.

Volleyball - Love playing volleyball. Despite my height I can play it reasonably well.

Cricket - Have always loved cricket, but only started playing late. I can bowl reasonably good medium pacers (can generally get swing) and bowl brilliant leg spin...when it lands on the bloody pitch (read: hardly ever). Have great variation but lack control. Cannot bat to save myself. Field reasonably..field in slips.

Swimming - Lack any form of endurance so swimming doesn't really agree with me.

Aussie Rules - I like to think I can play a tiny bit, that tiny bit is sharking a pack looking for a goal...and breaking tackles/hip & shouldering. Other than that I'm not so good.

Feel free to add other sports that I haven't touched on.
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2004, 19:30   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: Your sporting ability - sport by sport

Volleyball - both beach and indoor; prefer beach, I have fun, but not overly good.

Bike riding - Instead of running - getting fitter... still get overtaken by riders, but now I'm starting to overtake some riders.

Touch Footy - Really enjoy it, but can't play due to shift work.

Aussie rules - played it - didn't enjoy it.

Cricket - okay, but prefer to watch the one day series.

Swimming - like a stone.
Old 10-31-2004, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Tennis: Nup, cant keep the ball in the court

Table Tennis: Nup as above

Soccer: Nup, can't run around that long without needing my heart to be restarted

Basketball: eh haven't played that in a while, didn't really have an issue with it.

Baseball: Played for 12 years, haven't played since 2000. Was a good pitcher and 3rd baseman. Longing to go back.

Running: HAHAH you go to be joking, see soccer.

Cricket: Can't bowl or bat due to my long time career in baseball.

Swimming: Used to compete but haven't for a while.

AFL: does kick to kick count?

Armchair motorsport: yep excellent.

Gym Training: Well since i have started uni again my gym training had deteriorated. But now uni is on a break, gonna head back and lift those weights again.
Old 10-31-2004, 19:42   #4 (permalink)
I want an ESP

Soccer: i reckon im pretty good it and ive been asked to play for Victoria.

Football: Im a Wog so i dont like playing egg ball.

Volly Ball: I like playin this sport my school team went to state to play in the finals.

Netball: I like this sport too me and a few friends made a team so we played but i loved the chicks that i played againts short skirts and all.

Basketball: im alright at it but im only 170cm tall.

Cricket: I use to play cricket when i was little and i didnt like it so i only played a few games of it.
EsP bOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 19:49   #5 (permalink)
AU Fairmont Ghia V8

Ah sport something I should do so much more often.

Basketball: I played since I was about 12 and when I was in under 16s was playing for the 18s and 21s at the same time. I would like to think I WAS good but my current fitness is too poor for my own standards of play.

Soccer: Both indoor and outdoor I'm not bad at all but nothing fancy. My defensive abilities are quite good as I am fast and tend to read players quite well. Havn't played for a while though.

American Football: Great fun, I will take on anyone on the field in that rediculous armour. Which was also my downfall after misjudging a leap to catch a long pass and performing a backbreaker on myself with the help of an opponents knee after the pain subsided from my lower back over a month later I dicided it wasn't for me.

Rugby: Same as above, get a bit carried away, never played for a club.

Aussie Rules: Accurate kick but distance not up to scratch, tackle fairly well. Never played for a club.

Cricket: Decent all rounder, fast bowler (till everything starts to hurt, then it's back to spin)

Tennis: Never liked the game, further disliked the game after discovering I suck

Table Tennis: As Table tennis is downsized compared to tennis so is my level of sucking but I'm still no good.

Volleyball: an OK game, being fast and 6'4" helps

Running: What the hell for? lol

Swimming: Too boring so I never got good at it.

hmm I've played a lot of sports and can pick them up fairly easy and if I happen to like it can get fairly good. Is paintball a sport?
Old 10-31-2004, 19:53   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

I'm just crap at all sports.
Except target shooting, I was second twice in the Vic championships back in the late 80's

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 19:59   #7 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Lurker
Baseball: Played for 12 years, haven't played since 2000. Was a good pitcher and 3rd baseman. Longing to go back.

Cricket: Can't bowl or bat due to my long time career in baseball.
I too know the pain of trying to hit a ball that bounces cricket took a bit of learning when I came back from Canada.
I played 3rd and pitched as well.

Im decent at most sports after a bit of practise.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 20:10   #8 (permalink)
I am The Brain

Forgot Netball - Love playing it, it is an under-rated sport IMO! Wing Attack is the position to play. However the sport is a bugger on your knees.
Old 10-31-2004, 20:43   #9 (permalink)
Crikey

Baseball, I can hit the ball, catch the ball, and throw the ball so I guess I'm ok at it. Before the knees went south I was a catcher. Now I'm a pretty handy left fielder but at 47 I prefer to play first base.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Hmmm now I have to think back...

Played Netball at school and for a state team. Goal shooter, goal attack and wing attack. Best at shooting, one season shot 201 goals without a miss.

Was on tennis team at school and for a club. Was ok at it, but hit it too hard, hard to keep it in the court. Good serve though. And good at spin.

Played on the girls AFL team at school and caned them. Used be able to kick a good 50m.

Played on the badminton team at school but it got boring and I stopped.

Was on athletics team at school and on my first sports day in year 8, I broke the school record for shotput, javelin and 100m sprint, including the guys. Was crap at long distance running though.

Was on school swim team as well. Wasnt too bad at that. Ended up with a special swim coach but it meant going to another pool a long way from home at 8am so I CBF and didnt do it.

Tried cricket. Love to watch it, cant play it.

Played ice hockey for a few years. That was FUN!

Hated soccer.

Didnt like basketball much either.

Did a lot of mountain bike riding and cross country riding... would ride from Adelaide to Tailem Bend in a day along the back roads.

Motorsport? Well tried that. Rolled an old Prefect on the track. Still cant drive but Im damned good at watching it on tv!!!

All of that stopped, when I broke my foot two years ago and it hasnt healed. So I am massively unfit now and dont do any of it. Except if it involves watching it on tv!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub