You're Invited! Sweepstakes Dinner... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2003, 22:27   #1 (permalink)
Mistress Death Metal ;)

Read You're Invited! Sweepstakes Dinner...

The Ford Discovery Centre would like to invite Ford Forums members to join us in celebrating the Australian tour of "Sweepstakes", a replica of one of the most celebrated cars in automotive history.

Sweepstakes will be on display at the Centre from 23rd-27th October, 2003 as part of its nation wide tour celebrating the Centenary of the Ford Motor Company worldwide.

On Friday evening, 24th October, 2003 we will be holding a fundraising dinner to coincide with the tour of Sweepstakes. Technician Joe Carpenter from the USA will discuss the vehicle in detail at this event. An auction of autographed memorabilia will also be a part of the evening.

A brief history of "Sweepstakes"

In October, 1901 a then unknown Henry Ford entered and drove a car of his own design in a high profile race in Grosse Point, Michigan. Competing against Alexander Winton (the country's largest auto manufacturer and then racing champion) in a car with significantly less horsepower, Ford was considered the underdog. It turned out to be the Race of the Century.

Spectators were astonished when in the 7th lap, Winton's engine failed and Ford's "Sweepstakes" won the ten mile race. It was an important turning point for Henry Ford. The $1000 in prze money and offers of financial support from several people watching the race that day set him on the road to establishing the Ford Motor Company.

Today, more than a century later, the Ford Motor Company is the leading manufacturer in automotive racing around the world. Since that benchmark day in 1901, Ford Racing has won thousands of championship events.

Details of the event are as follows:

Date: Friday 24th October, 2003

Time: 7pm

Venue: Ford Discovery Centre
Corner Gheringhap & Brougham Streets
Geelong VIC 3220

Dinner: Buffet, main course and dessert
Tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages included.

Price: $50 per ticket, includes entry into the museum, dinner, drinks and speaker.

RSVP Friday 10th October via email to fdcinfo@deakin.edu.au or phone 03 5227 8709

Hope to see you there!
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 22:50   #2 (permalink)
Crikey

Re: You're Invited! Sweepstakes Dinner...

Every now and then it is actually worth living in Melbourne.

Hope everyone that goes enjoys themselves
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:50   #3 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

hmmmmm, that's weird - I've read it advertised that Ford was going to have "sweepstakes" on display at the Sydney Motor Show, from Oct 16-26.
Is it planned that it'll only be on display at the SMS on the 1st week???? If so I certainly will want to make 110% sure I get to the show during the first week.
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulos
hmmmmm, that's weird - I've read it advertised that Ford was going to have "sweepstakes" on display at the Sydney Motor Show, from Oct 16-26.
Is it planned that it'll only be on display at the SMS on the 1st week???? If so I certainly will want to make 110% sure I get to the show during the first week.
I'm definitly going if Sweepstakes is there
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 20:36   #5 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

...and here's the offending article.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

any updates with this?
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:45   #7 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Im interested, but I would like to know whats going on?

So do people just get up and speak, we eat, and everyones merry? Sorry for putting it in such a simple context.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 05:22   #8 (permalink)
Mistress Death Metal ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo4eva
Im interested, but I would like to know whats going on?

So do people just get up and speak, we eat, and everyones merry? Sorry for putting it in such a simple context.
Basically that's about it. There is food, drink and the person who travels around with Sweepstakes will be tlking to the guests. Time is running out though to get your name down for the event. I'd call Sandra tomorrow (Thurs) on 03 5227 8703 if you're interested.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:34   #9 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

News about Sweepstakes and the tour is on www.ford-news.com
Old 10-09-2003, 00:28   #10 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

Just a quick update for those that couldn't find the dates etc on www.ford-news.com "Sweepstakes" WILL be on display at the Sydney Motor Show but ONLY from the 17-19 so if you want to see it make sure you get to the show on those days. Why they couldn't have arranged for such a historically significant car to be there for the duration of the show beats me, but hey I guess that it's booked to be elsewhere.
BTW - It will be on display at Bathurst 11-12, The SMS 17-19, & at the Ford discovery centre 23-27

Last edited by Wulos; 10-09-2003 at 00:41.
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub