Zoom......zoom......zoom - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2001, 08:09   #1 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

DETROIT, March 16 (Reuters) - Zoom, zoom ... zoom?
Mazda Motor Corp. <7261.T> -- the automaker known for that zippy advertising slogan -- has discovered that the latest model of its Miata sports car is a bit less speedy than it was supposed to be.

Ford Motor Co. , which owns a controlling 33 percent stake in Mazda, said on Friday that the Japanese company had miscalculated the 2001 Miata's horsepower by 8 percent.

The difference may be barely noticeable to most owners of the Miata, a rag-top that has won rave reviews for combining the look and feel of a 1960s-style British roadster with the high-quality and reliability of a Japanese brand car.

But Ford spokesman Mike Vaughn said it meant the power of the new Miata stood at 142 horses, as opposed to the 155 originally advertised.

To make up for the mistake, Mazda is offering 2001 Miata owners factory-free scheduled maintenance for the length of the car's warranty, Ford said. Mazda is also offering the cars' owners a $500 debit card, to spend as they choose, or a special repurchase option.

Ford, the world's No. 2 automaker, had a similar problem in December 1999 when it was forced to acknowledge a modest shortfall in the engine power of about 8,000 1999 Mustang Cobras from the level originally advertised.

In that case, Ford provided upgrades on the Cobra free of charge.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2001, 08:28   #2 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Humm, on another MIATA note, I see it comes in a 6sp flavor now. If only I was RICH!
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:50   #3 (permalink)
ProbeBandit

Thumbs down

Hahaha, how hard is it to determine the hp properly? If I was a miata owner I'd be really pissed now. Free maintanance and a $500 debit card would not compensate me for a 13 hp loss in power if I just bought a Miata... Sounds like a dumb and avoidable mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub