Ford Forums banner

1982 ford Bronco 351W swap to 390 FE, Will it work?

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  themaninthehat 
#1 ·
My frend has a 1982 Bronco with a 351W. I have a 390 FE engine from a 1968 Ford Galaxie that i rebuilt awhile back. My question is does anyone know if the engines will swap eaily with no problems, or will we need to modify some stuff? Will all of the brackets and accessories swap over? Any information will help a lot.

#2 ·
With the exception of the alternator bracket none of them will work.
This is a very aggressive swap. The truck won't handle correctly due to the large difference in weight, the old "FE" is a very heavy engine. You will also have to change the transmission. Physically the engine will fit, but you'd have to change nearly everything to make it work, and it would be a bear to drive.

#3 ·
First you would have to get a set of big block springs for the front, then you would have to take the engine mounts completely out, and then modify mountsw for the transmission, transfer case, and the engine. and you really wouldn't really gain that much more horse. My opinion, don't do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.