1987 Bronco with a knock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 07:48   #1 (permalink)
Rust Bucket

confused 1987 Bronco with a knock

I have a 87 full size bronco with the 5.0 non h.o. I received it when my father died. A few years ago i started to play around with it. i got the trans replaced bc it wouldn't shift out of 1st, full tune up, valve cover gaskets and new brakes all around with the majority of brake lines. when i got it back from the shop the engine was knocking. now i am 17 i work at a shop and i want to get the truck working again. some people told me it was the main bearings. other say it could be a misfire. today i am going to check the firing order and do a few other things. if anyone has any suggestions to what else i can check id really appreciate it.
Milzy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
Rust Bucket

Re: 1987 Bronco with a knock

anyone wanna help me out here
Old 04-09-2008, 21:48   #3 (permalink)

It most likely would not be a main bearing If any thing it would be a rod bearing. With these things you want to eliminate the simpler less expensive possibilities first what are the symptoms?
metalmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 17:33   #4 (permalink)
Rust Bucket

when it starts up it will have no low pressure, when it eventually warms up it will have no oil pressure. when i start it, it sounds like there are marbles in the engine. 2 weeks ago i played with the firing order and it doesn't knock as bad but also has no power. sorry about taking so long to respond i had surgery and thank you for responding to my sos call
Old 04-13-2008, 14:17   #5 (permalink)

do you have acces to a compression tester, testing the compression is probably the best way to see if an engine is any good. you record the reading of each cylinder and then compare, the readings should all be close if they are maore than 30 psi difference you should probably consider at the least a head job or a complete rebuild.
metalmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum