Ford Forums banner

1989 5.0 Bronco starting problem

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  homingswan 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have just recently ran into a major problem when attempting to start my 1989 5.0 Ford Bronco. We replaced the battery and the battery cable clamps. We get lights, radio and everything works fine till you try to crank the engine over. Nothing happens but the sound of the fuel pump and a little click about 4 seconds after you pull the key back. There is no activity from the starter whatsoever. I have a hunch its either the starter or some electrical problem before reaching the starter.

Can you give me some feedback?

Thanks,

Jack

G
#4 · (Edited)
Ok after working on the bronco all day yesterday heres what i accomplished:

-Pulled starter and tested it at Kragen << starter was good
-Arc'ed the solenoid and engine started up normal
-bought and installed new solenoid
-car still wont start
-arc'ed the solenoid again and it started normal
-used a test light on the top wire on the solenoid (pretty sure it routes in from ignition)
-no power coming from the top wire, also made sure testlight worked

The guys at kragen say its an Ignition problem now.. anyone have any ideas?

G
#6 · (Edited)
Ive checked the wiring around the battery and the wires are in good shape. im sure its probably a bad wire somewhere but that would require pulling it out of its protective shell that loops around the inside of the hood. ill probably end up taking it in, ive done about my limit

The wire i tested that gave no power was the one leading from the ignition in the steering wheel. Its either that wire is bad or something in the ignition itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.