1989 Ford Bronco II looking at purchase - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:09   #1 (permalink)

1989 Ford Bronco II looking at purchase

Hi, I am looking at buying a 1989 Ford Bronco II 4x4 with 106,000 original kms. 6cyl. everything works and in very good condition. No rust or dents. Has air tilt cruise pw locks and windows. cd player. interior is mint.
took it for a spin in the snow and 4x4 worked perfect. the tires are good for another year but would need some grippies put on next year.
They are asking around $3200.00 Canadian.

Does this sound like a good buy?

We want to use it for pulling a tent trailer also.

What is the towing capacity of the truck with the stock bumper?

Does it need a tranny cooler installed?

What are some of the know issues with this truck?

is there a online manual and info links i can go to?

any info would be greatly appreciated.
Laeyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 18:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1989 Ford Bronco II looking at purchase

It sounds like this thing is in pretty decent shape, at least on the outside.

As for the price, I would recommend that you check New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Values & Car Prices - Kelley Blue Book to check the reasonable private party purchase price for this vehicle. The price will depend on a number of options.

As for the towing capacity, and perhaps another member could chime in here, I would have to estimate that the capacity for that stock bumper (if it is the type which accepts the trailer ball) would probably be between 2,500 and 3,000 lbs. This is pretty standard for a base 1/4 ton rated truck. Your tent trailer should be well below that limit and you should have no problem.

I would always recommend a trany cooler for any tow vehicle, especially one such as this which would be totaled if your trans went out. on that note, it is probably the most expensive part to repair on that vehicle. I would suggest at the least, checking the condition of the trans fluid (should be bright red if its an automatic) and checking for any abnormal shifts while driving it.

As for common problems, there is one which is most obvious on these vehicles: cracked cylinder heads. From what I understand, the 2.9L heads were quite prone to cracking, probably when an engine overheat occured. While this can be difficult to see, I would suggest taking this thing to a shop before you buy and have them perform a compression test. A cracked head will leak pressure (and power), and possibly coolant.

Not sure if anyone out there has any good broncoII links, but a bit of searching might sort it out.

Bottom line: Barring any unforseen problems, a truck that old which looks good, probably is. I might try to talk him below $3,000, but I bet he was hoping to walk away with 3K in cash anyways. Do your research, having the bluebook printout is a powerfull tool.

happy motoring
847alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum