1990 Bronco II - no air con - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2006, 10:15   #1 (permalink)

confused 1990 Bronco II - no air con

Hi guys.
First let me say I know NOTHING about cars. I've Google'd and hit all the forums I can find trying to get an answer... in my Bronco II, if I turn on the A/C, the power light comes on but nothing else happens. There's no familiar "clunk" sound when it came on previously.

From what I've found on the internet, the most likely problems are either the AC switch is broke or the freon pressure is too low. Like I said I know nothing about cars so if anyone can give me specific instructions on how to fix/check this I'd really appreciate it. I'd really like to check all the cheaper options first :-)

If it helps, the blower works fine - just no air con. I looked at all the fuses too, they seem to be ok.

It's a 1990 Ford Bronco II, 2 wheel drive (rear) 2.9L engine.

Thanks in advance,
Phil.
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2006, 12:38   #2 (permalink)
I used to know this stuff

Re: 1990 Bronco II - no air con

Hello!
first check is the ac compressor; does it engage when you turn AC on?
if so, have regrig/ checked; buy a cheapo test kit to diy or get it done.
get back here w/the engagement answer and we'll go on from there;
For now, here is Troubleshooting Guide, Air Conditioning, general by polarbearinc.com
http://www.polarbearinc.com/Trouble1.htm

yo!
May I suggest you register and ask anything you need answers to at:
http://forums.bucknakedoffroad.com/index.php

Ian (Stangmata) runs the site and there are many knowledgeable people over there incl. OX1 who has written many Bronco articles in the past!

be well,
Old 06-24-2006, 13:36   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that! I'll check out the links shortly.
As for the A/C engaging - the power light comes on the panel but I can't hear any difference - previously when it was turned on you could hear the noise of something starting up. Is that what you're referring to?

If there's any other way to test, please let me know how and I'll do that.

Thanks,
Phil.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:00   #4 (permalink)

yw! ok, good guess it needs a charge; go thru that Link for AC troubleshooting after you check the compressor; the test is to have someone turn AC on while you watch the compressor's clutch to see if it engages..
"The compressor should run. You can see this by looking at the clutch hub (front plate). The hub is the item on the front of the compressor that is connected to the shaft. If the compressor does not run, check to see if the clutch is getting power and that it has a ground. If it is not getting power disconnect existing wires and apply power to see if it will function."

then if you think it needs a recharge buy locally; a shop will ruin your wallet; unless you can get a good price on a recharge or conversion.
buy these or whatever (no gauges); and assuming you still have a freon system, you can convert to new stuff R134a
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...it+Kit&ptset=A
or NAPA, etc.

more AC ts info here w/diagrams
http://autoacrepairs.com/

be well! and join the other site; we can log in there faster; this site seems to log me off automatically while i reply w/long posts and I have to retype all this stuff.
Old 06-25-2006, 16:10   #5 (permalink)

Hi.
Yeah I read the thing about checking to see if the clutch engages, dumb question - where is it??? I'll be able to check if I can find the thing :-)

Phil.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17   #6 (permalink)

ok; standing at front bumper; the clutch is in front of the ac compressor; look at this pic;
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...s/bl370lib.htm

clutch as 3 large bolts around circumfrence and 3 smaller bolts in inner section.
The air conditioning compressor has an electromagnetic clutch that can engage or disengage the compressor pulley. The compressor pulley always turns when the engine is running, but the compressor only runs when the pulley is engaged to the compressor driving shaft. When this system is activated, current runs through the electromagnetic coil. The current attracts it to the armature plate. The strong magnetic pull draws the armature plate against the side of the turning pulley. This locks the pulley and the armature plate together; the armature plate drives the compressor. When the system is deactivated, and current stops running through the electromagnetic coil, flat springs pull the armature plate away from the pulley. The magnetic coil does not turn since its magnetism is transmitted through the pulley to the armature. The armature plate and hub assembly are fastened to the compressor drive shaft. When it's not driving the compressor, the clutch pulley turns on a double row of ball bearings.

and join http://forums.bucknakedoffroad.com/index.php
Old 06-26-2006, 16:04   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for that, I'll check it out. Also joined the other forum :-)

Phil.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:13   #8 (permalink)

yw Phil.

will look for you there...ck there for updates and we can guide you along to save $ and time. Also Introduce your self to da gang there; add pertinent bronco info such as year, engine, trannny type, etc. in your profile signature and any post you make for tech help.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:14   #9 (permalink)

any lucK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum