1992 Bronco Rear End Chatter While Turning - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 12:33   #1 (permalink)

1992 Bronco Rear End Chatter While Turning

I recently purchased a full size Bronco and the rear end chatters and binds win the truck is turning and returning to center. It makes no noise while driving straight. It's my understanding that the rear end has clutches that are allowed to slip and therefore you must add the proper additive to the gear lube to make it quiet. I drained the lube and replaced it with 80 / 90 weight and added the limited slip additive from NAPA. It still binds and makes noises when turning, but only after it warms up.
What is the recommended lube and additive that may correct this problem or are the clutches damaged beyond repair? Thanks, Curtis
curtis1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 09:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1992 Bronco Rear End Chatter While Turning

It sounds like you are on the right track. This is most likely a problem with the limited slip clutches.

Now I have heard some techs say that they add two bottles of friction modifier just to be safe and avoid return complaints of "chattering rear end".

But what does the friction modifier do? Really, it enables the clutches to work at all, not to disengage. I would argue that with no friction mod that you would essentially have an open axle. It sounds to me like your clutches won't disengage when hot, causing a lockup of the diff.

I think that your problem is not with the fluids (as it sounds like you have done everything right). My thought is that you either have the tolerances too close in the clutch pack (a difficult thing to change), your clutches are worn (time to replace), or they are simply dirty.

As the latter is something that is cheap and easy to try to fix, I would recommend draining the fluid again, and use several cans of brake-clean to to get every little bit of grime out of the clutch packs as possible. the little bits of gunk could be interfering with the clutch operation and causing lock up at higher temps.

I might also suggest that you consider synthetic diff fluid. ford has moved to using 75w-140 instead of the 80w-90 and friction mod. The Synthetic fluid replaces any need for friction mod from what I understand. It is the OEM on any new limited slip axles.
847alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum