1993 ford bronco - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 23:42   #1 (permalink)

1993 ford bronco

I am working on a 1993 ford bronco 5.0 . It all started it had no power like at all. was at times hard to start. now it does not start at all it acts like it wants to but does not it has hot spark on all 8 cylinders and 38psi fuel pressure if you spray eather in it sometimes it will start if you feather the gas peddle but it backfires violently out the intake sounds like a 12 gauge going off.

I pulled the fender mounted ignition module off and took it to auto zone they said it was bad so I bought one and put it on and it made no difference at all.

I guess I am suspicious at this time of the distrubutor stator it seems to me something is throwing the spark around and that seems like the only other thing it could be.

Also this may be none realated but sometimes when you turn the key on the fuel pump runs non stop.

Please if any of this is ringing any bells with any of you ford folks please share your ideas.

I'm new to this site and looking forward to talking with you!!

P.s yes I'm sure the spark plug wires are in the right spot that was my first thought.
marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 04:49   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1993 ford bronco

Can you pull any codes from this? This sounds like the TFI ignition module that's attached to the distributor, but you said you replaced an ignition module mounted on the fender? A lot of your initial symptoms point to it, but not the fuel pump. The only thing that I can think of for that would be a short to ground on the blue/orange wire coming out of the fuel pump relay.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

If I understand the original post correctly, if you have GOOD spark at all cylinders, then I wouldn't think it would not be the igniition module. Do you have steady PSI while you are cranking the engine over? If you have good spark, steady fuel psi (probably at least 35 psi) my guess would be, since it backfires, to double check firing order. Not sure what year it was or if it was the 302 or 351, but I do remember there was two different firing orders one year. If that checks out, check timing that can cause it to backfire as well
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The exhaust may be plugged. Take the 02 sensors out or loosen the exhaust at the manifolds and crank it to see if that helps.
Old 01-14-2013, 22:34   #5 (permalink)

Yes it has steady fuel presure about 38 psi. There is not an ignition module on the side of the distributor it is on the fender like I said in the original post it tested bad and I replaced with a brand new one. It really acts like the firing oreder is wrong tried all the different friing order for the 302 and the 351 it makes no difference.

Can the distributor stater make it fire out of time?

the exhaust being clogged also fits exept the muffler is blown apart.

I wondered if the timing chain slipped but I rolled over to number 1 and the rotor was pointing at number 1.

this thing is really starting to erk me I am really getting pissed. Have not pulled any codes I only have an OBD 2 reader.

The guy that mentioned the exhaust being clogged makes alot of sense I repair boats for a living and it is doing what 2 stroke outboards do when the exhaust gets clogged under the powerhead. Like I said the muffler is badly damaged but I wonder if there is a CAT before the muffler that is clogged I will check tomarrow afternoon when I get to the shop!!

any other ideas would be very much appreciated thank you all so much for your help!!!!
marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The cats are in front of the muffler and that's where they can be plugged.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39   #7 (permalink)

Double check your spark plug wires! You should really check them again.
89TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum