Ford Forums banner

1993 XLT - Electrical Problems

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  piranicon 
#1 ·
Started truck, volt meter went crazy, flippin from one side to the other.
Tach was going from 0 to about 5k, cept engine wasn't revving any faster. Turned off the truck, jiggled some cables. Tried to start it up again but it only clicked. waited. tried again and it started.

Had minor electrical problems before where power would cut out when going in reverse. replaced starter, solenoid, battery and alternator. Ran fine for a while then recently it started acting up again.

Anyone have any ideas, or should i call in a priest to exorcise my truck?

#2 ·
i have come across a similar problem only once.
when the vehicle was put in reverse the trans would wind up a little and make contact on a bare (rubbed) wire which made the thing go crazy and even shut down the radio believe it or not.
so start looking underneath at everywire that might have rubbed through.

#3 ·
I'll give it a shot, but i kinda glanced around when i replaced the starter. i ran new wires to that since the old ones were rotted to hell. guess i'll check again when it finally stops raining. damn hurricane picked a great time to swing on by.

#6 ·
Well I checked out the wiring and found nothing, but now the problem has progressed to the point where i might have to call in the priest. I get in my truck.. everything lights up like normal. i turn the key...nothing. its dead, no starter, no lights on the dash. so i turn the key just enough to engage the power and i don't hear the fuel pump kick in. So i turn it back and wait for a few minutes. Turn the key and it starts like nothing was wrong. I head out to my job interview and on the way there the volts start dropping in unison with my blinker. Kinda gave me the nice strobe effect with my headlights. I make it to the place. park and try to start it and its dead. after the interview i come back out and try and leave and it doesn't start. i hit the dash and it still no power. i hit the steering column and it started up fine, cept each time the power cuts out i lose my radio settings.

Anyone have any electrical problems with the ignition like this?

#7 ·
nothing quit like your problem but it seems that you have narrowed it down to the column so i am starting to get an impression that it is the ignition switch or around there.
but i cant figure why the lights are affected so bad since they are on their own circuit and switch.
maybe have yourself a look at the fuse block and take that loose and see what happens while you are movin that around.
that is the only place i can think of that will affect so many components.
while checkin that try to follow the main power lead and make sure nothing is wrong with that either.
im basically just guessin and throwin out ideas for you.

#8 ·
i'm wondering if theres like one component that'll drain the entire system. I know my fuel pump is on its way out and the fuel gauge is pretty much dead. Wish i had more automotive skills and tools to fix the stuff myself. I don't know of any places around here that do decent work.

#10 ·
well the drain is only when i'm driving, the voltmeter drops to about 10v when i'm idle at a light and the dash and headlights dim accordingly. I cranked up the idle to about 1100 rpm and things are better, but the drop still occurs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.