'89 Bronco wont start... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:19   #1 (permalink)

confused '89 Bronco wont start...

WE have tested the starter, replaced the battery and the solenoid. once we did that if finally tried to crank and then of course he tride to crank it a few times then nothing. CAN YOU BURN UP A BRAND NEW SOLENOID? What else could be the problem?
parl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 15:59   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: '89 Bronco wont start...

How did you test the starter? 'bench test'? If so, although that my tell you it is engaging and spinning, it isn't under a load, so not really 100 % accurate. Can you turn the motor over by hand? Make sure it isn't siezed or hydro-locked. But first of all, I would make sure all connections, (battery/solenoid/starter) are clean and tight. Check the wires under the insulation to be sure they are not corroded. Also make sure you have good grounds-- body,frame and engine.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:50   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: '89 Bronco wont start...

We took the starter off and took it autozone for the test. We have checked the cables and they are all good. When we put a new solenoid in it tried to crank and then he let off to make sure we werent burning up the starter and tried again it tried to crank and he let off again and then nothing. The fuel pump was engaging but now nothing when you turn the key. All of the intrument lights come on and the windshield wipers run and the window work. I am wondering if it is the fuel pump or fuel filter?? Thoughts?? We attempted to do the ECC test to read the codes but couldnt get it work right. Got it to read 31 on the ohm test but that was it. Checked the volage from the battery to the solenoid and it tested good. Trying to figure out how to test the solenoid to the starter to see if the solenoid is putting off power or if burned it up. It's just odd that the fuel pump isn't engaging any more. Could it be the ignition?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:28   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

There may be a small ground wire coming off the battery, make sure it is good, if not, the fuel pump will not come on. As far as the solenoid, you can jump across it to see if it will crank. Check the inertia switch to be sure it isn't tripped (this also trips power to the puel pump)
Old 03-04-2009, 07:55   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: '89 Bronco wont start...

We hired a mobil mechanic to come out yesterday to take a look at it and he diagnosed that it was the puel pump. At first it wasn't cranking because there is a bad connection in the nuetral safety switch. He conducted the wiggle test and resolved that issue. It finally started to crank but because the fuel pump is not engaging he said it needs to be replaced. Our Bronco has an in-tank fuel pump. I have checked the inertia switch to make sure that it is not tripped and it is in the down position and I even pushed it up and then back down to make sure. By my understanding it should be in the down position correct??

The guy said parts and labor to replace the fuel pump and fuel filter would be $225. Should we try changing the fuel filter first before we even bother hiring him to change out the fuel pump?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:13   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
The guy said parts and labor to replace the fuel pump and fuel filter would be $225. Should we try changing the fuel filter first before we even bother hiring him to change out the fuel pump?
$225? You can't beat that. I'd have it all done if it were me.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 15:38   #7 (permalink)

So the mechanic is here right now. They have installed the new internal fuel pump, and it works but now they think it may be the external fuel pump or possible another problem. He said he thinks that a short caused the internal fuel pump to short out. Suggestions?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56   #8 (permalink)

UPDATE*****

So after a new battery, a new fuel pump, a kill switch , a new solenoid, it was the RELAYS under the hood on the drivers side. The were all corroded and bad. They cost 10 bucks at autozone!

So if you have problems with it not starting first check the wiring, all relays, and battery before assuming it is thefuel pump!!

Good luck to all!!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:06   #9 (permalink)

Can you show a picture of the relays? I'm having a similar problem
xwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18   #10 (permalink)
Always the student

Should look simular to one of these.
AOL Search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum