'92 Ford Bronco, are these super reliable, long lasting? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 18:14   #1 (permalink)

'92 Ford Bronco, are these super reliable, long lasting?

I'm looking to possibly purchase a '92 full size bronco with 240,000 miles and a 351 engine.

Are these vehicles long lasting? will a 240k Bronco give good service for several thousand more miles? I know this is assuming it has been taken care of and is good condition now, it is a general question about these Bronco's ...I know the mid 90's F150's with a I6 last forever, I was wondering if these do also. All opinions welcome .....
skid2964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 05:41   #2 (permalink)
I used to know this stuff

Re: '92 Ford Bronco, are these super reliable, long lasting?

We have a 96, bought it new in May 96 and basically, we "over-maintain" it...meaning 3k mile oil/filter changes & lube, all filters changed before severe duty schedules, etc.
One of the most reliable daily drivers and beach run/light off road vehicles we'ever had (incl the ex 78).
Still, we had minor problems that we addressed quickly.
Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
- oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet® Automotive) & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge and undercoat/paint by Ford!
- radiator plastic side seam leaks, esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - our's leaked @ 50k miles - look for leaks after engine has cooled down, esp overnight
- auto tranny - E4OD had a lot of improvements made by 96 so look for good shifts and see the maintenance records; fluids/filter should have been changed every 30k miles and less if used for towing
- rust in inner rear fender lips and bottom of tailgate (fender lips was rusting due to beach sand wearing the paint & road salt) ...check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass - radius arm bushing deterioration (I sprayed em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings
- ball joints..our's are ok, but costly if not DIY
- PSOM, make sure it works; look for a waver in the needle at highway speeds..costly to replace w/new; most get yard units for DIY; , a crooked dealer here in NJ has been caught for the 3rd time switching PSOMs!..there is also a device to roll-back odometers on PSOMs..so look for some maint records or contact a dealer to run an OASIS report to see what maint was done to it a Ford dealership... Car Fax is iffy..they do NOT list over $5k in single accident damages on 3 of our vehicles & our 92 Van had less mileage than when we sold it according to a CarFax report 2 years later... they did nothing after we contacted them.
- cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.
- roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)
- emissions air check valve & cat. converter (AIR) tubes..tends to rust early; as does the AIR tube - a source, buy locally or from PCI - A.I.R. Manifold Tubes check valves, exhaust hangers etc.by pciinc.com
- radiator supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side PIA to replace
- E4OD Overdrive Cancel Light TCIL - It is easy to replace & under $12.00 from local Ford dealer or a FSB Sponsor; Jeff's:
E4OD Overdrive Cancel Light Button & Cap (replacement part) pic by broncograveyard.com -
be ready to catch the switch/LED assy when prying it off; it is spring loaded..not much force.
ck fuses too; I need to look for my notes on what fuse blew due to a harness short that affected the OD Cancel Light (it blinked randomly, no Trouble Codes or tranny malfunctions though) under steering column; think it was 6 or 7; but that's in a 96.

E4OD Overdrive Cancel Light pic by atcdg.com via web.archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/200302282...s/bull_135.htm

See if you can get it to a mechanic for a compression check, code checks (free at AutoZone, etc).and other inspections if you don't diy; neglected vehicles are costly to repair, esp. 4x4's.
- transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area; usually usually a broken travel stop or the motor connector is fouled, etc.
Originally Posted by Gacknar

How to test Ford Auto locking hubs on all TTB aplications.

1. Place transfercase in 2HI or Neutrall.

2. Lying under vehicle, turn front drive shaft (one direction only).

3. Automatic hubs should lock after 1 to 5 turns of driveshaft (one direction only).

After step 3 the hubs should lock, youll know they are locked becouse you will hear a click from both hubs and you will no longer be able to turn the front drive shaft (in the same direction). If this is not the case then continue to step 4. If you can no longer turn the drive shaft (in the same direction) then skip to step 7.

4. If you can still turn the drive shaft (one direction only) then one or more of your Auto hubs is not working.

5. Continuing to turn the Drive shaft (one direction only).

6. Look at the u-joints for the front stub axles, if both are turning then both front hubs are malfunctioning, if only one is turning then the one that is not turning is locked and the one turning is malfuctioning.

Replace as necosary (preferably with manual hubs, Auto hubs have Yams in them)

7. To unlock the hubs, turn drive shaft in opisat direction untill you hear a click from the hubs.

To check for transfercase engagement.

1. Place pushbutton transfercase in either 4 HI or 4LO.

2. lie under vehicle.

3. You should not be able to turn front drive-shaft in either direction.

4. If you can turn the front drive shaft then your transfer case is not shifting properly
ours blew @ only 30 k miles despite freq. maint.)
Old 06-14-2006, 10:31   #3 (permalink)

why do i bother wasting my time here? this is the 75th reply I have made here without a return from the originator
Old 06-14-2006, 18:38   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5
why do i bother wasting my time here? this is the 75th reply I have made here without a return from the originator
Because we love you man!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 13:14   #5 (permalink)

lol, thanks, but it has become frustrating and seemingly, a waste of time. I get better responses to my replies elsewhere; hope this Forum picks-up soon.
be well!
Old 06-22-2006, 13:53   #6 (permalink)

Hmmmm, I just found out a minute ago I had a reply! I never got an email indicating any replies until now. Oh well ....

Thank you very much for the reply! very informative.
skid2964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:44   #7 (permalink)

yw!
Old 07-13-2006, 20:05   #8 (permalink)

Oh it should pick up soon. Along with the purchase of a daily driver (94 Tbird) which substitutes me 2002 Yukon for across the city commutes for work, I picked up a 119k mile, 302 1989 Bronco XLT 4x4.

Guys, considering I am on the internet at work all day and when I get home, I should be posing some very info-needed type questions. :-)

VictorInATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 13:35   #9 (permalink)

ok Victor; ask away!
Old 02-10-2008, 16:02   #10 (permalink)

You sound very reliable, i just bought a 92 bronco with a inline 6 (140,000 miles) and i was wondering about how much it can tow? I moved down to Mexico, puerto vallarta around a month ago and bought the bronco because 1) i had been pesturing my freind for close to a year to sell it and because 2) Broncos and jeep wranglers are the only cars down here that they can keep running for a long long time. I have a hotel down here and was thinking about getting a double axle closed trailer to tow with supplys for the hotel since there is limited supply down here, but how much can the bronco tow? thank you for your help, after looking around the internet with no luck your site seem to have people on it who know broncos.
ShaneWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum