93 EB Misfire...Very Difficult - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 20:33   #1 (permalink)

93 EB Misfire...Very Difficult

Ok, I have posted on FSB this problem and I had a lot of input but I am completely stumped at this point. The 302 EFI is complete and intact - no parts missing. Everything seems functional. I have a misfire that only presents if I drive the truck from cold and shut it down and restart it. I can start it cold, drive it for an hour if I want, but if the ignition is shut off and restarted before it gets cold again, it will misfire severely between 1300-2200RPM. The compression is 160PSI on 6 cylinders and 180PSI on 2. I have tested EVERY sensor on the vehicle including swapping the PCM with a known good one and the problem remains. It is not showing any code except 538 (Insufficeint throttle change during WOT test but it was misfiring when this was attempted. I have tested, as I said, every sensor on this vehicle and they all pass. New: Coil, PIP, distributor (from PO), ECT and IAC. The fuel pressure is good and not leaking down. FPR is good. New Filter. Over 2200RPM, it runs really well and is strong. Idle is goo, too. Between 1300-2200RPM - misfire badly.

I am really desperate to diagnose this and fix it because I do not want to have to do another engine swap just because a drunk totalled my last one when it was parked in front of my house. Thank you in advance for your input.
MrWP819300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 08:09   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 93 EB Misfire...Very Difficult

You didn't mention the TPS being replaced. They don't always show a problem without using a scope to see what the trace is doing. Has it been replaced?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09   #3 (permalink)

I had a similar problem on my '92 a few years back. What ended up being the largest problem was a missing inline resistor for the computer controlled spark advance. This is the small plastic cased resistor that fits into the wiring loom connector. You are supposed to remove it when you adjust the distributor.

on mine this kept the engine from starting warm, it would only start cold.

from what I could tell from the diagram, there was one such resistor on the rear driver side firewall. But when it finally went to the shop, ended replacing a similar plastic resistor is on a pigtail in the wiring loom near the accessory belt. It had gotten caught in the belt somehow and ripped out.

After they replaced that I had no more problems.

I say check your timing after locating the resistor, and making sure its intact.
847alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 14:37   #4 (permalink)

check fuel pressure the next time it acts up, if it's too low, indicates new fuel pump required.
g_k50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 14:20   #5 (permalink)
I used to know this stuff

yo, Following is from FSB; I never saw you come back to that thread;
MrWP819300, on 07 June 2010 - 05:43 PM, said:

I know this is an old post but I have been trying for days to figure out a misfire I get when my BKO is warm. 1993 EB 5.0 E4OD. The enhine runs great if you start it amd warm it up and srive it. I can drive it forever but when I shut it off, even for 2 minutes, it misfires. The PO told me when I bought it that it was running lean but I had intended to swap the engine for the one in my wrecked BKO. Problem was, it has 160+ PSI in all of the cylinders and all of the original engine components, including emissions, are intact. I have been through everything I can think of with this BKO except changing the ECU. It does not throw any codes when I test it on the first start when its cold (yes I allow it to come up to temp). But when I retest it, it gives the code for "cylinders out of balance". I guess my question here is if it is misfiring and I pull the spout and it does NOT misfire, are you saying that means the PIP is bad or acting up when hot because I tried that and it didn't misfire with the spout out.If so, how does this explain the lean condition? Thanks for any input here as I have been searching for days to an answer to this dilemma.

---
=====
yo,
re; and I pull the spout and it does NOT misfire,

I'm going w/PIP/& OR a Magnetized Shutter Wheel
Misfiring, Rough Idle, Surge, & Ping-Knock Symptoms, due to a Magnetized Shutter Wheel, (Bronco & all Fords w/EEC IV & TFI); "...Inside the TFI distributor is a Hall-Effect sensor that provides an RPM and POSITION signal to the Ignition module and ECM for fuel and ignition control. Mounted to the distributor shaft is a "shutter-wheel" that passes through the Hall-Effect sensor. The slots or windows cut in the shutter-wheel are what makes the Hall-Effect sensor switch on/off to create the signal it sends out. The shutter-wheel is supposed to be a piece of "dead" steel but can become magnetized. A magnetized wheel can cause very erratic operation of the Hall-Effect and resulting erratic output signal. The Test: There are a couple of ways to check for this condition. One is to simply pull off the distributor cap and see if something steel will "stick" to the shutter-wheel. Make sure that whatever you are using to check the wheel with isn't magnetized itself. A more accurate method would be to watch the wave-form on the "SPOUT" wire with a Vantage or Lab-Scope. The SPOUT is the wire with the connector in it that you unplug to set ignition timing. Monitor the wave-pattern on the SPOUT with the timing-connector in. If there is anything erratic about the wave-form, unplug the timing connector and re-check the wave-form. If the pattern "cleans up" all of a sudden, chances are good that you have a magnetized shutter-wheel. The Fix: Most shutter-wheels can be removed from the distributor shaft with a couple of screws. Everybody seems to have their own way of de-magnetizing the wheels but good success has been had with bulk audio-tape erasers or by placing the wheel in an engine parts cleaning oven and baking it. That last one sounds weird but it works..." Scroll down
Source: by snapon.com via archive.org @ Misfiring, Rough Idle, Surge, & Ping-Knock Symptoms, due to a Magnetized Shutter Wheel, (Bronco & all Fords w/EEC IV & TFI); "...Inside the TFI distributor is a Hall-Effect sensor that provides an RPM and POSITION signal to the Ignition module and ECM for fuel and ignition control. Mounted to the distributor shaft is a "shutter-wheel" that passes through the Hall-Effect sensor. The slots or windows cut in the shutter-wheel are what makes the Hall-Effect sensor switch on/off to create the signal it sends out. The shutter-wheel is supposed to be a piece of "dead" steel but can become magnetized. A magnetized wheel can cause very erratic operation of the Hall-Effect and resulting erratic output signal. The Test: There are a couple of ways to check for this condition. One is to simply pull off the distributor cap and see if something steel will "stick" to the shutter-wheel. Make sure that whatever you are using to check the wheel with isn't magnetized itself. A more accurate method would be to watch the wave-form on the "SPOUT" wire with a Vantage or Lab-Scope. The SPOUT is the wire with the connector in it that you unplug to set ignition timing. Monitor the wave-pattern on the SPOUT with the timing-connector in. If there is anything erratic about the wave-form, unplug the timing connector and re-check the wave-form. If the pattern "cleans up" all of a sudden, chances are good that you have a magnetized shutter-wheel. The Fix: Most shutter-wheels can be removed from the distributor shaft with a couple of screws. Everybody seems to have their own way of de-magnetizing the wheels but good success has been had with bulk audio-tape erasers or by placing the wheel in an engine parts cleaning oven and baking it. That last one sounds weird but it works..." Scroll down
Source: by snapon.com via archive.org
==
Next is; did you get this Code 538 Invalid cylinder balance test due to throttle movement during test?
If so, then all is ok bec throttle was pressed/moved during self test.
If it's another code, then pot the Code here or look it up in my broncolinks.com site and type just the code number in the Search feature.
Old 12-27-2010, 19:44   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks miesk5 for the detailed information.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum