Bronco II Fuel Pump Replace - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
tab

frown Bronco II Fuel Pump Replace

my 87 bronco II I think needs a fuel pump. The engine begins to start then dies. When I turn on the ignition I cannot hear the pump only a pronounced click. I am assuming that the click is the relay switch doing its job. If I understand correctly it has one pump in the tank and one in-line. So I am poised to change the fuel pump in the tank but I need some pointers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 21:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bronco II Fuel Pump Replace

You're correct. Your BII should have a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the drivers side frame rail. As you said, the click you hear is most likely the relay, which tells me the fusible link before the relay is ok.

Before you decide to drop the tank, check the inertia switch to be sure it's not tripped. The inertia switch shuts the fuel pumps off in an accident and they do go bad from time to time. Also, use the DLC connector on the passenger side to hotwire the pumps to check if it an electrical problem or one of the pumps.

You need to jumper the fuel pump test pin in the DLC to ground to "hotwire" the pump. If you hear the pumps run, the problem is electrical. If either of them don't run, you know which pump to replace.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:50   #3 (permalink)
tab

BigBronco: Thanks for the reply. Yeah I just read about the inertia switch but I don't know where it is. If you could tell me where the inertia switch and the DLC connector are located I'd be very appreciative. If I determine that this is the fuel pump in the tank. I am considering cutting a big round hole in the sheet metal above the tank to get to the pump. What do you think about this crazy idea?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:56   #4 (permalink)
tab

Oh one more thing...... You are right, there is "no replacement for displacement" BUT...I got 46mpg in my Honda, delsol last fillup and the thing never brakes down. I have two Fords in the yard that need work and a Honda with 155K that runs like a top. I don't think that I will ever buy an American car again. I do plan on buying a Harley though.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:24   #5 (permalink)

The intertia switch is normally located under the plastic trim on the passenger side kick panel (to the right of where your feet go). All you need is a screwdriver to remove the plastic.

The DLC connector is black and it will be on the passenger side near the power distribution box. Check out the picture to get an idea of what it looks like and which pin to jumper to ground.

Regarding your Del Sol, Honda makes good cars and they do indeed get good mileage. The people who rice them out and drive them like they're "Fast and Furious" is what puts a bad taste in my mouth.

My '92 Bronco has not given me a lick of trouble and I'm coming up on 190,000 miles. Maintenance is the key to keeping a vehicle running. If properly maintained, any vehicle will last a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLCpicture.jpg (4.2 KB, 13 views)

Old 10-11-2003, 12:08   #6 (permalink)
tab

Hey thanks a bunch. I am going to look at it right now. Yeah those rice racers piss everybody off. I do like the V-tech design though. It's what hotrodders have needed for 70 years. Some of those low-torque 4's are surprisingly fast though. I ran across a guy in a turbo Horizon. He had some lettering on the back window about being a Mustang/Camero eater. He gave me a quick demonstratin by punching it. The darned thing was a rocket and besides the lettering was a sleeper. I was amazed.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:58   #7 (permalink)
tab

and about maintainance being the key to vehicle longevity.....Yeah that's true to but there's not much you can maintain on a fuel pump and not having an access hole to get to the fuel pump in inexcuseable. Also, as we discussed, this idiotic Ford design has TWO PUMPS! I am seriously considering making an access hole myself. Only problem is that there is precious little room between the tank and the floor. Don't want my saw blade to hit the tank or lines..... Have you ever heard of anybody going this route instead of dropping the tank?
Old 10-11-2003, 13:53   #8 (permalink)

Don't put the cart before the horse. Test the pumps before doing anything drastic. That's what the DLC was designed to do, to give you the ability to test the pumps and electrical system BEFORE removing anything.

If the pump in the tank does end up being the culprit, do it right and drop the tank. It's a pretty easy job to remove the two straps holding it in place to drop the tank and the filler tube isn't that hard to get off and on.

The fuel system in your BII is Ford's early fuel injection system. The low pressure pump is in the tank to not only feed fuel to the high pressure pump on the frame rail, but is also there to prevent vapor lock between the high pressure pump and the tank. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a low pressure pump in the tank than vapor lock.

After '89, the BII has a single in-tank high pressure pump......either way the pump is in the tank like almost all of the EFI vehicles out today.

Old 10-11-2003, 14:40   #9 (permalink)
tab

Thanks! I did the test with the DLC and didn't hear anything even when I put my ear to the fender. Shouldn't I have heard one of the pumps start? They couldn't have both gone bad at the same time. I suspect the pump in the tank because the truck sat for about 18 months and moisture may have ruined it. Can I drop the tank without jacking up the truck? Is there enough room?
Old 10-11-2003, 16:02   #10 (permalink)

Did you have the key on?? The key has to be in the run position for the test to work. If the key was on and both pumps didn't run when you shorted the fuel pump test pin to a good ground, then you have an electrical problem or a tripped/faulty inertia switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum