building advice? 400? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 20:31   #1 (permalink)

building advice? 400?

Ok im pretty sure you guys are probably wondering why I want to build a 400. But Im a young kid and I need something to keep me outta trouble and fresh on my toes and something out of the box. I did some research about 400's and found they are in the same family as the 351c. I wanna build a 400 and keep this 351m in my Bronco for a daily driver for now. I don't want to do any machining to the heads just wanna experiment with some 351c pistons? Maybe make a MC hybrid? haha

1978 Bronco Ranger XLT 351m
bigblockdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 21:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: building advice? 400?

Chipset can help with that.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:20   #3 (permalink)

Now adays you can get some serious power out of a 400. They are now making speed
parts for them. What experiments with 351C pistons ? What do you want to do with the
400 and what do you expect ? The 351 - 351C - and 400 all have the same pistons and the same rods. The 400 has a different crank making a longer stroke. They change the
pin height on the 400 to make the pistons fit. What i should have said is the 351 - 351C
and the 400 all have the same bore but the pin height is different in the 400 to match
the different stroke on the crank. If you put a 400 piston in a 351 the piston will be too
high on T.D.C. and the top ring will pop up over deck height. I found out the hard way
when i was a kid. Don't know i had 400 pistons in the 4 boxes of engine parts a guy
gave me. Let me know what you want to do.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 18:27   #4 (permalink)

well not looking for complete extreme and not much machining unless you really think thats the route i should go. i wanna buy and build a 400 cuz i can find some decent for cheap no one wants them. its prob a lil extreme but i want to be able to spin tire on dry pavement in a straight line with no brakes helping. kind of a bugdet build you know? only a kid not making a fortune but i can get some money if need be.
i thought the 351c and the 400 had the same piston pin to top height? but hey im a kid

Old 02-18-2011, 08:41   #5 (permalink)

You can spin the tires with a stock 400 and a 2V carb. and automatic transmission with
no alterations at all. You can use the 351C heads on the 400 but not recommended for street. Put in an R.V. cam, 2 inch exhaust and put the mufflers at the back. get a 3.11
or 3.28 diff. Use " shim " gaskets in the heads if you can find them. That will bring your head down about 1/8 inch. Your intake will still fit. You will not get a lot of R.P.M. out of
that engine but you will get a shit load of torque. There are hundreds of little things you
can do to that engine that don't cost a bundle. What are you putting it in ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 18:40   #6 (permalink)

Wanna put it in my 78 bronco. I mean yeah its able to spin tire but its a 351m not a 400. It would be nice to have some good power. Yeah not worried bout high rpms just want power. the most that truck will go high rpm wise will be passing someone or getting P.O. at someone. So your sayin RV cam Thinner head gaskets and an exhaust system? Would Glasspacks do? i have those with 2.25 pipe on it it'll squat and go but not impressive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum