Ford Forums banner

california smog Test

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  351w 
G
#1 ·
hey does any body know how to adapted a smog regulator to the smog pump so it could pass the smog test only.

this shit is giveing me a hard time.

#2 ·
I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish. I assume when you say that you want some sort of regulator on the smog pump line that you want to somehow reduce the flow from the smog pump to the exhaust system. If that's what you want, doing so will not help you pass smog and it will actually raise your emissions. The smog pump forces more air into the catalytic converter to help it catalyze more of the unburned hydrocarbons which lowers emissions.

If your Bronco isn't passing smog, the best place to start is the catalytic converter/converters. They aren't cheap but they're usually the culprit if the engine is in good tune. I assume you have a carb.....so be sure your air cleaner is new and mixture screws are adjusted correctly to prevent an overly rich mixture. A tune up does wonders as well.

#3 ·
i agree with 92 that a well tuned engine produces less emissions.
if your running a carb you can lean the idle mix slightly.
also make sure your engine is fully warmed as this will produce slightly less emissions than a cold engine.

if your bronco is injected look for a possibly bad O2 sensor as this will cause a rich running condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.