Ford Forums banner

engine swap

3K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  2mrchio 
G
#1 ·
:?: I have a 1989 Bronco II with the 2.9 V-6. The motor is getting tired and I would like to swap the engine out for a 5.0 V-8. Is there some sort of conversion kit available on the market for this swap or even a 4.0 V-6 conversion kit? If available, how will it affect 4WD?

#2 ·
First, although I never did a swap, I did a little research when I wanted to put a 5.0 & AOD transmission in my 93 Explorer. In fact, I was "this close" to buying a BII with a TBI 5.0, but I ended up getting a full size Bronco instead.

There are a few places on the net that sell conversion kits. I know of two places off the top of my head, Advance Adapters and Kaufmann Products. If you would like, I could dig in to my saved web pages to see if I can find any more.

In fact, I ordered a "Bronco II and Ranger V8 Engine and Transmission Conversion Kits Instruction Manual" from Advance Adapters when I was going to do my swap.

As far as 4WD is concerned, as long as you get a transmission made for a 4x4 vehicle, probably the only thing you will have to worry about is the driveshaft. By that I mean you may have to modify it (shorten it) or replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.