Fuel System problem on 1986 Bronco - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 23:17   #1 (permalink)

Fuel System problem on 1986 Bronco

I just bought a Bronco, a 1986 with the 351w. This is old enough to still be a carb, a Holley 4180. The basic mechanicals are solid, but there is some tune up work that needs to be done. The truck sat for over a year without being started (joy!).

The truck just doesn't want to stay running. The timing is good and I sorted out any vacuum leaks (now a ROCK solid 21hg at idle). Based on the problems I am seeing, I am pretty danged confident that the problem is fuel delivery. Sure, check the fuel filter, volume from the pump, maybe the carb is all gummed up. Basic stuff, so I am going to check the easiest to get to stuff first.

I can't find the fuel filter! The is an on-block mechanical fuel pump. Unless I am crazy, and remember my pre-EFI world wrong, the fuel filter should be between the pump and the carb, right? I spent my post-work and pre-sun down hours tonight trying to find the stupid thing. It doesn't LOOK like anyone has messed with the truck, it's all pretty stock. It is possible a previous owner did remove the filter and just run hose from the pump to the carb.

Can anyone confirm the fuel filter location on a 80-86 Bronco (carb, not efi)?
leezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 14:49   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Re: Fuel System problem on 1986 Bronco

Stock fuel fiter location is inside the carb at the fuel line fitting. That's why so many of these old trucks have an aftermarket filter - the owners didn't know about the internal one.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 14:58   #3 (permalink)

Crazy. But not that crazy. I actually thought that might have been the case, but I have a factory replacement (supposedly) fuel filter. The replacement is just WAY to big for the inside of the carb. I'll check it out, thanks for the info!
Old 08-13-2009, 21:46   #4 (permalink)

I didn't have enough time to test it very much, but this looked like it was it. There was a copper or brass mesh I removed from the carb. It wasn't pretty. I put the fuel inlet back on the carb without the filter, then I spliced an external filter inline just before the carb.

As soon as I fired up, my cold idle rpm's were almost doubled compared to the pre-filter change out. I was obviously getting MUCH more fuel. Some retuning of the carb, and a 15 minute test drive around town, and I'm feeling like this is in good shape now.

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum