Ford Forums banner

gas mileage

7K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  tomahawk350 
#1 ·
does anyone know what a 89 ford bronco 4x4 with the 302 gets for overall gas mileage because mine sucks plus i want more horse power but dont know how to get it

#4 ·
Yes, I meant the manual ones. To help with gas milage keep the thing tuned up, try to free up some flow through the intake and exhaust ( this will help with H.P. too), and consider running not so large tires. By that I mean that those big monster swamp tires may look nice but they suck a lot of gas and H.P. Your milage will never be great because you are trying to push a big, square, heavy box down the road.

#7 ·
cool replys but i figured i have a 32 gallon tank that gets about 280 to 290 miles outa it but does a broken motor mount make it get less gas milage and i jus got a snorkle hood scoop to ram air down in my motor bu tto get it set up is gonna be hard cause i want more horse power at cheap u know what i mean but im lookin around to see how to glass it in and make a air pan and route the air houses through it and bein the truck is efi u know so this will be hard and fun at the same time to so if anyone knows how to do this or already has please let me no oh and i do have 31's on it right now but i want 33's with a 3in body lift

#8 ·
As I said I don't own a Bronco. Still, are you sure you have a 32 Gallon tank? That sounds kinda big to me. The only sure way to figure gas milage is to fill up at the same station each time. Stop putting in gas when the nozzel shuts off. Write down your milage and the amount of gas used. Than do this several times ( at least 3) and get a avarage. I always keep a little note book in the glove box and keep track of all the gallons I use. That way If milage drops suddenly I know I have a problem. This will also help you to develope driving habits that will help out. You will also begin to see paterns developing due to weather , modifacations you make, and other things. It sounds hard but, is easy to do. It took longer to type this out than the amount of work it takes. It would be good for you to do this now and get a baseline so that you have something to compair future changes to.

G
#12 ·
I have a 92 Bronco, 302 with 3:55 diffs and 31 x 10.5 tires. When I bought it last Spring, I was geeting 12.5 MPG City and 14 MPG City/Hwy. I added a K&N FIPK and the Jacobs Mileage Master ignition. I now get 15.75 combined City/Hwy and 18.5 Hwy. I also have a lot better low end torque. Next Spring I'm going to install the Flowmaster cat-back exhaust.

You actually might be getting better economy than you think. Has your speedo been re-calibrated for your larger diameter tires?
Mine has not, so I add 6% to both my mileage and my indicated MPH.

Here is a site that has a calculator to help you figure it out.

http://www.4lo.com/

#16 ·
My '86 gets about 11 mpg around town. I would like it to be better, but the '95 in the above post gets the same so apparently it's the nature of the beast.

Anyone now what the tow rating is for a '86 with a 302?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.