Ford Forums banner

hmm..cruise and horn out?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  remat457 
#1 ·
Hello,
My '83 cruise control and horn seem to be out...Hmm..they worked before. What do you think? I didn't see a fuse out...but last month I lost my taillights due to a blown fuse.

any ideas?

tx,
remat457

#4 ·
I used to have an '88 Bronco eddie bauer, i had the same problem, i had a radar detector hooked into the cigarette lighter and that didn't work either. it was a fuse for me, but i'm not exactly sure which fuse it was, you could check in the owner's manual for the fuse chart, i'm not entirerly sure which fuse it was because it happend a couple years ago.

#11 ·
If your dash is out, your tail lamps are probably out too. Start by checking the tail lamps, license plate light and the most probable cause a trailer hitch wiring.

Let me know how you make out...

#12 ·
tailer hitch wiring

The tail lights were out also. I replaced that fuse and it seems to be doing ok (fingers crossed). But the dash fuse pops everytime the lights go on....

You think the trailer hitch wiring harness is the culprit? Do you think that it is grounding out?

thanks!

#13 ·
remat457,

I would sure look at the trailer wiring. At my shop the majority of tail lamp repairs with trailer hitches, is over 50% caused by the trailer wiring. I would definatly check it out first. Then If that all seems OK pull the tail lamp assembles out and look at the sockets and bulbs. Any of them leak water??

Let me know.

#14 ·
trailer harness, dash, and taillights

Well, the tail/brake lights seem to be ok.
The dash is still out (still pops the fuse as soon as i turn the lights on).

BUT, i checked the voltage on output on the trailer harness below the hitch and it is dead.

:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.