Lucky Sometimes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2003, 12:03   #1 (permalink)

Lucky Sometimes

I posted a little while back about my 87 Bronco losing power going uphill, starting to run ragged. My "friendly" local garage guy said it was the cat and he could put in a new one for $700. After some of you guys warned me off from that price, I went 20 miles back to my former mechanic who adjusted the float in the carburetor, sent me smoothly on my way. Less than $700 for sure. Thanks to you guys who warned me off spending that money and got me on the right track. Lucky this time, who knows next time.
headstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2003, 17:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Lucky Sometimes

Glad you saved some money.
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 20:43   #3 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

glad to hear you atleast got the problem fixed.
just goes to show you how hard it is to diagnose someones problem over the internet when the guy at the garage couldnt even tell, thats just not right though that he wanted $700 for a cat.
i was at the parts store just the other week and they had a high flow universal cat there for $90 all you got to do is buy the right size pipe inlet and outlet.
you better keep in touch here so you dont get taken to the cleaners. lol
Old 10-29-2003, 21:36   #4 (permalink)

With that 700$ you saved, you could give it to me. I'll make sure you dont get taken again. Or if you don't want to give it to me, you could donate it to me. I'm always looking for caring people to donate for The 89F150 Fund. :s6:
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:06   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89F150
With that 700$ you saved, you could give it to me. I'll make sure you dont get taken again. Or if you don't want to give it to me, you could donate it to me. I'm always looking for caring people to donate for The 89F150 Fund. :s6:
You seem to be a caring sort of a bloke, '89F150.
When you get the $700, I'll have half. I hope it is $US
Fat F100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:25   #6 (permalink)

Ya know, I thought about a donation like that, thought who could be better than a Ford man. Then I remembered I don't have $700 in any currency. If I had the $700 I'd be riding around in my big Bronco with a platinum cat and still no way to get uphill. Tell you what, if and when I ever come on to $700 you can be sure who I'll think of first.

The long-distance diagnosis was really great regarding the ridiculous price. Two mechanics with their heads under the hood couldn't find the problem close up. You guys got me focused on the rip-off more than the actual problem, and that got me looking harder at the whole deal and hopefully got it fixed. Died on me in traffic yesterday, just quit. After a few minutes started right up and ran fine. I guess it will keep my life exciting. But now I have to save my $700 for the next problem. Thanks for the help and the offer.
headstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 15:40   #7 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

actually i have had that problem before and it turned out that the battery cable was really green inside the battery clamp and had about rotted off, so check those and also if thats not it you might consider a stator and module replacement as this is a common problem on broncos as well.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum