Ford Forums banner

Owning an SUV condones enviornmental destruction, reduced national security, inordina

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Marqman 
#1 ·
Here's my side of the story and many other antiSUVers. In the 1970s, oil dependence and pollution were serious problems. Laws were made to improve both of these. Cars got smaller, but also became less safe in many cases. New catalytic converters and better fuel efficency helped the air quality. Having the exact same trends in Europe and Asia called for more efficient engines, smaller cars, and higher fuel prices. From those, public transportation increased, pollution drastically decreased, and hybrid and fuel cell engines are becoming huge musts for energy independence and reduced pollution. A pollution free, hydrogen based transportation system is being heavily invested in Japan and Singapore. They also fully understand that oil is nonrenewable.

Back in the US, a loophole existed for these SUV light trucks to be developed without regard to fuel usage or pollution. Automakers make a fortune from these things, and Americans buy them due to heavy advertising. Small cars are being pitted against large trucks and tragically losing in accidents. America's foreign oil dependence is well over 60% now and climbing. We can't produce enough oil here because it is already gone or rapidly depleting. Pollution rates along with respiratory health problems are at increasing rates due to the increase in carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxides from the big SUV craze. Government is very concerned about our oil dependence and the role the US must play in oil rich countries to protect our oil interests. They don't want to forbid SUVs, but want to encourage people to understand the problems and buy hybrid engine and fuel cell vehicles once available. Bush's energy plan reaches everything from responsible vehicle tax credits to research on nuclear fusion to renewable energy to reducing the global warming problems.

No matter much extra work one does on recycling or garbage pickup, transportation consequences are overwhelming on many facets. They affect our national security, our air quality, our respiratory health quality, our national resources and parks protection, and our highway safety. This SUV craze is a complete backward and dangerous trend for America! Owning an SUV condones environmental destruction, reduced national security, inordinate resource depletion, and reduced highway safety.

For more information, visit www.fueleconomy.gov which further details this serious problem. Many government groups, health organizations, respectable environmental groups, and world scientists and coming out on this issue, and would like the American consumer to know the truth about the many pitfalls of these vehicles called SUVs.

How do you feel about your SUV now? Let me know, thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I love my '86 Bronco. I also want to get an early 70's model. However society is stuck on fads. Right now that appears to be SUVs. I would turn my attention on the automakers not improving mpg on SUVs and the government taking to long to make them.

>This SUV craze is a complete backward and dangerous trend for America!

Very true.

>Owning an SUV condones environmental destruction, reduced national security, inordinate resource depletion, and reduced highway safety.

I'm sorry, I didn't know I was responsible for the automakers reducing the safety of small cars and not improving the mpg of SUVs.

>How do you feel about your SUV now?

Exactly the same.

I am not to blame for the deteriorating safety of cars. I am not to blame for the auto industries lack of improving SUV gas milage and reducing emissions. I am not responsible for the governments lack of early enough intervention.

I only drive my SUV all the time because it's the only vehicle I have. I didn't even buy it. It was given to me after my grandfather died. Next year I'm hoping I can get a daily driver that will get 45mpg. Then my SUV will be my hobby that I use in snow and for camping. But until then I'll be cruising in it happily.

So that is my opinion on my SUV. SUV buying is a fad right now. Who knows what the next car fad will be. Society will always follow fads. I laugh at these "luxury" SUVs. I think they are the stupidest thing ever. But beware of laying the blame on the owners. They have the right to buy the car they want. The maker, however, is the one responsible for how it is made.

#3 ·
Well said, Gendo!

Fedup, when I read your lead-in, I thought here is another flamer, upset because they don't own one of our Broncos. Well, you do have some valid points. But the fact is, people will buy SUV's as long as gas is affordable, and SUV's are available. The same thing happened in the 1970's, when big cars were the rage.

I love to drive my 78 Bronco; it's over 2 tons of Detroit iron, and I do feel very safe in it. I feel that I'm protecting myself, when driving it, rather than endangering others. Granted, it is not very fuel efficient, and I have a second, smaller vehicle for everyday driving. The next generation of SUV's are smaller and more fuel efficient, i.e. the Escape, etc. They are the evolution of the larger SUV.

I am thankful to live in a country where I have so many choices of what to drive. I'm curious though, Fedup. What type of vehicle do you drive?

#5 ·
Actually, I think I see a trend. Many people inherited Broncos, I know a few too. I just hope when you have the money, you will shun the baby boomer trend of buying big SUVs to show off. Buy something that meets your needs, but not overpolluting and gas guzzling. All I ask.

Yes, the automakers are very responsible, but they blame the general public for wanting larger, more power. They have the technology to make things better, but they say consumers buy them as they are, why improve it?

Give it a few years, by 2005, all models of SUVs are supposed to be hybrid electric engines ones. Don't worry, the electric part kicks in on cruising and idling, not heavy work.
I drive a 1994 Honda Accord, but will hopefully purchase a Honda Civic hybrid engine in 2003 when available. The Civics are plenty big nowdays.

#8 ·
mwellner,
Why so angry, are you afraid to discuss the many negative issues surrounding SUVs? I'm sure we have some common ground, like how to improve the fuel efficiency and lower the oil consumption or how to have SUVs meet the same pollution standards as cars. You know, if we address these issues, we can let the automakers know that we all want improvements. You still want the power to tow things, and I want less pollution and better fuel efficiency. Let's have a reasonable debate.

#10 ·
I'M WITH MWELLNER!!!

I enjoy my 1990 Bronco and when i'm not driving that i have my 338hp Mustang. I suppose your entitled to your opinion but so am i "go **** yourself". I think you need to go to the tree huggers forum. That's my opion and you can't change that. Nuf said. RSH

#12 ·
mwellner: your membership has been revoked

mwellner,
I guess since you are turning this debate into a forum for kids. You can't debate the issues so you turn to namecalling and bigotry. I doubt that you represent all Bronco owners here. I vote that we call for your membership to be revoked. This board is to discuss issues around the Ford Bronco, not a place for soemone to practice hate crimes.

#13 ·
I am serouisly a Bronco Owner

This will stop, But I do not appreciate your presence. You are the one being a kid, you come in here harrassing us.
I own a 1996 Bronco with a 302

my points
1) lighter weight, lack of ground clearance, higher center of gravity.

2) heavier weight

Well you are the one that should leave, you are disgracing the image of the Bronco forum.

I came here to find information about modifications, tech, specs.

I wish you would stop harrrassing me about my truck

#14 ·
Man, you really over reacted. Mwellner, you are way overreacting. Th guy comes onto the site just stating his opinion and asking for others. You seem to think this is some sort of personal attack against you. Why? Are you that insecure about who you are and what you drive that you must resort to childish anme calling becasue you cannot get your point across any other way? If you have some solid evidence and opinions you can use to CONTRIBUTE to this thread instead of making it a little 6th grade ***** fest...please, share with the rest of us. Calling someone a queer is not an effective way to share your point fo view. Jesus, are we that afraid of having a bit of acutal interesting and meaningful discussion that we have to have people acting this way? Damn....that's just sad.

Fedup, I think revoking hsi membership may be a bit too harsh. After all, people do tend to stick up for their cars....while he is going about it the wrong way, I feel it is not enough to ban him for. If people were banned for being passionate about something, this would be a very dull place.

Now , here is my input on the subject. While SUV's may infact be these polluting behemoths on our roads, they do serve an essential place in today's way of life. They have the ability to tow large amounts of weight, like a truck, have seating the cargo and seating capacity of a van, and still be smaller and much more nimble and responsive than both. Not to mention that they are a cash cow for the manufacturers who produce them. With that in mind, I expect them to stick aroung for a long time.

#15 ·
I am not a baby boomer

Fads are stupid. I am not a baby boomer following a trend. While I hope buy a daily driver I will not be putting up my "Bronco fad".

I intend to put my bronco up and work on it. I will restore all my body panels, do some engine work and create a nice truck that I can use for camping and go off roading if I like. Last I checked the automakers did not make a full size wagon much. Let alone one that is environmentally safer.

Auto makers stop provided vehicle with a large cargo space that fit your environmental standards (fedup). Now you are just going to say that they only make the SUVs because people are buying them (something you already stated). Well they don't have an alternative. My mom would love a full-size wagon. But you don't see many around anymore. Now you can all say minivan, but didn't we just go through that fad?

So, fedup, you recognize our criticism of the auto industry but still side with there reasons. Why is it that you do not want to hole them accountable? Their saying that they don't improve them because we buy them that way is a pitiful excuse. I don't see them all offering up alternative SUVs.

Why is it that is seems you only want to blame the owners? I'm really starting to think that you have a grudge against somebody who drives and SUV. Maybe an aggressive driver that was on the road with you. But if that was the case, you have to understand that those types of people would do it regardless of what vehicle they are in.

To the others that want to just call names and such, don't read these posts anymore. If you don't have anything constructive to say, they don't say it.

#16 ·
Also, I'm not "showing off" with my bronco. It's not much to show off with it's primer coated hood and fenders. No offense to Fords, but it is a Ford. It's no a Mercedes or Lexus or whatever other "luxury" SUV people show off with.

Fedup, I think you are a little off with putting SUV and "show off" together. I thought "show off" went with loud, obnoxious exhausts, and loud systems.

Actually, what do you think is worse? SUVs, or old muscle cars? Are you aware how un-environmentally safe muscle cars can be? With all the exhaust and engine performance people do? Have you considered this argument in other areas or are you dead set on that only SUVs are a problem? Just curious.

NOTE: For all of you muscle car people, I am not bashing muscle cars. Just pointing out that the specific topic here extends to more than one area. I saw a 69 GTO on tv today. Oh it was so so sweet!

#17 ·
Ok guys, lets time to finish up this thread! It is not doing much for anyone. Fedup, I see your side and the Bronco folsk side, but this forum is for the discussion of Bronco's among Bronco owners. If you wish to keep this topic rolling how about starting one in the off topic area where yo may even more folks shooting it out with you. In this area folks came here to talk about thier fav trucks, not debate the things you have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.