setting the idle on a 92 bronco - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Bronco Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Bronco

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 14:02   #1 (permalink)
Bumpin Bronco

setting the idle on a 92 bronco

Well this is my second question.. the electrical stuff i think i got taken care of..

My bronco has been dieing when i put it into reverse when its idleing.. it seems to idle realllllllly low.. 600 rpms.. which is odd its a 1992 ford bronco v8 auto 5.8L eddie bauer eddition.. i found the spot ontop of the motor where the gas pedal line runs to.. however it does not appear to be adjustable for the idle.. has anyone here set the idle on their rig higher on this type of truck if so is that the right spot im just not doing it right or should i be lookin elsewhere any help would be greatly appricated
dspetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 20:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: setting the idle on a 92 bronco

I once had a 92 bronco, only it had a 5.0L--same difference though.

I had the same problem. Though I later learned that there were several smaller problems causing it.

First, you can adjust the base idle, but you shouldn't. It's computer controlled and if it isn't idling right, something is wrong. But if you want, there is a set screw on the throttle body that adjusts the closed throttle position.

The first thing to check is the Idle Air Control valve (IAC). This is a small electric motor mounted on the throttle body which controlls idle speed electronically. If it quit, this would certainly cause the problem. You can test it by removing, running 12 volts to connections and seeing if it moves. Often these get dirty and stop working or simply wear out.

other problems that cause this would be related to ignition problems such as base timing and simple misfires. Ignition diagnoses are another forum though.
847alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:27   #3 (permalink)

I also had this problem to and found that the E4od transmission filter fell off and this fixed my problem.
HUSKER POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 14:40   #4 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Idle speed is not adjustable on EFIs. The EEC handles it using the SPOUT circuit & the IAC, but both rely on the base timing & throttle position being correct. Check base timing using the emissions sticker in the engine bay, test your TPS, and read the captions linked below.

1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net
1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net

The Haynes manual has more info on TPS testing, so try to find one. If none of that solves it, the last option is to reset the throttle stop, but it's not easy or fun.

1983 Ford Bronco TSBs & FSAs (Recalls) for '83-96 Bronco's & F150s picture | SuperMotors.net
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Bronco Forum